Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Campsite recommendations to break a drive to the Pyrenees?
  • HarryTuttle

Hi,

I've been a little disorganised and could do with some help……

In 2 weeks I'm driving to the Pyrenees with the family, then back again 2 weeks later, we're planning to break the journey over 2 days by camping. Problem is I've no idea where to camp. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Looking at the map the stretch from Bourges to Clermont-Ferrand looks about half way.

Any ideas? A quick look on the net suggests a lot of places shut up shop at the beginning of October so I'll need to find somewhere that's still open.

What's the score with camping in France on the off season, will I need to book or will I be ok to turn up? It'd be great to have several options so I can push on if the kids are ok (optimist!)

What do you guys recommend?

Mackem

I'd just stay over in a Formula 1 hotel. It'll be cheaper, mean less hassle and you'll have a decent bed.

footflaps

It's a long drive! Just been to Pau for a week and drove there in a day (starting in Calais) and it took 11.5 hours with minimal stops.

Poitiers might be a good choice, looks further than half way, but the Peages stop after Bordeaux and progress really slows down, we stayed in a Ibis hotel there to break the return journey up.

jon1973
    Free Member

Can't really recommend any specific campsite, as I haven't really been to the region you're looking at. You're right about the campsites closing early, many close in early September, but there should be plenty still open.

I don't think it's necessary to book, we normally travel in September and we never book and we've never found a campsite to be full. What we do is google search on camping in the area you want to stop at and check their websites for closing times – get several options and stick them in the tomtom.

THIS is a great site where you can download POIs for thousands of campsites in to your satnav which is always useful – you need to pre-check closing time though.

molgrips
    Free Member

My folks tell horror stories about Formula 1 hotels!

Mackem

Never had a problem with them. Alays use them on the drive from Bilbao to Durham. You wouldnt want to holiday in one, but for getting your head for a night in the middle of a big drive they are perfect. Ive used the Poitiers one a couple of times.

HarryTuttle

Thanks for the answers so far.

I'm not keen of the hotel option as there's some food issues that are easier solved by cooking, also the kids love camping…..

Any other camp-site ideas?

Thanks.

HarryTuttle

How about the daytime crowd, any suggestions?

Thanks.

snakebite
    Free Member

Did it last week, we stopped in the Etap at Riom, right next to the motorway. its a mile or so north of Claremont-Ferand, 42 euros for the night, sleeps 3 but you can sneak a 4th in…..

Android
    Free Member

Another vote for the hotel from me. Campaniles are good enough for an overnight. Camping is great if you can guarantee the weather, and its a lot of hastle for one night. We got washed out in mid August in northern Spain this year, took a day to get everything dry again.

HarryTuttle

So the consensus is hotel….

Oh well.

Anyone got experience of the time to drive from Calais to Vernet-Les-Bains? Can it sensibly be done in one go with 2 drivers?

Any recommendations of things to do in that area?

Mackem

Ive driven from Calais to Bilbao in, one go by myself. Stopped every couple of hours for a rest/drink/feed (including an hour break for lunch), total time was about 12 hours. I dont go over the speed limit. It's piss easy until Bordeax.

Mackem

Oh, BTW, the Formula 1 hotels have microwaves you can use, so you could pre-prepare any meals if you need to.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Campsite recommendations to break a drive to the Pyrenees?’ is closed to new replies.