Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Campsite recommendations: 2 hours train from London
  • allyharp

Looking to take the girlfriend away for day of (very) easy cycling and an overnight camp.

Needs to be in easy reach of South London without a car.

The New Forest was my first idea but everywhere seems to require a 2 night stay over a bank hol, and we only have Easter Sunday into Monday to play with.

monksie
    Free Member

*Euston to Macclesfield is 2 hours. Easy and pleasant ride to Macc. Forest. Very nice part of the world. Campsites are not plenty but some nearby. Slightly hard(er) ride to Cat and Fiddle with a mostly freewheel into Buxton and lots more camping options. Also a very nice place to spend some time. Both on the edge of but not actually IN the Peak District.

or

London to Sheffield and then ride out to Peaks or get the Sheffield to Manchester train with stops IN the Peak District at any of Grindleford, Hathersage, Bamford, Hope, Edale (or again just outside the Peak), Chinley or New Mills. LOTS of camping options. In fact there is a nice campsite 200 yards down the road from me and lots of lovely Peak bike riding, walking, pub options here (alight at New Mills Central- the stop after Chinley) and cycle down the road a bit. Hayfield is just a bit further up the very flat Sett Valley Trail as well. Chuck me an email if you think this might fit the bill and you’d like some more info**

*not South London though.
    ** I do not work for the High Peak Tourist Board

benpinnick

Check out green hill farm on the edge of the new forest. Train to brockenhurst and ride there. Don’t worry it’s right on the edge of the forest, the new forest is pretty flat so easy riding generally.

FieldMarshall

Train to Lymington and then 15-20 min ride to Hurst View Campsite.

No min number of nights as fas as i am aware.

Plus you can ride most of the way to the campsite on the coast path, which has great views.

If you want a longer ride, you can get on/off at Brockenhurst.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.inwoodcamping.co.uk/FindUs.html

Train from Waterloo and a bimble from the ‘Stoke will do it.

The bluebells around there are glorious at this time of year.

I can help with some route pointers as well if you like. (Including a ride to/from a pub, obviously!)

redstripe
    Free Member

Avon Tyrrell in New Forest (home of the big bike bash too), you can camp there : https://www.avontyrrell.org.uk/camping.html
    About 10 miles from Brockenhurst station but easy ride most of the way along the old railway line.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Campsite recommendations: 2 hours train from London’ is closed to new replies.