Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Campsite in Aviemore
  • Clink

We know the area well (stay in a cottage evry Easter) but have never camped. Looking at the Forest Holiday site at Glenmore (Glenmore Caravan and Camping Site). Anyone been there – any thoughts? What are the midges like in August?!!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Have a look at the Rothiemurchus campsite.
    We spent 10 nights there last year and loved it.
    Going back again at the end of July.

Clink

Just phoned them – looks really nice! What are the facilities like? The guy was very helpful but made it sound a bit ‘back to nature’ (not that thats a bad thing!).

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Well, we loved it because it’s very quiet, all the pitches are amongst the trees, which provide great shelter from winds etc.
    There was a brand new shower block last summer, with a loo, shower and wash-basin all in one private room. And washing up facilities. Also a fantastic drying room for wet kit.
    Loads of wild-life to sit and watch…birds, squirrels, rabbits etc.
    A good, gentle family ride straight out of the back of the campsite too!
    The manager is a great guy, who was really friendly and helpful.
    We did think about the Glenmore sight, but it looked very busy and it’s on open ground with not much shade or shelter.
    Hope this helps.

Clink

You’ve convinced me!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Walked through both of them, didn’t look at the facilities in Rothiemurchus but Glenmore site is very nice.

marty
    Free Member

rothiemurchus for me. facilities are good – as FoxyChick says the new shower block is clean and staff friendly (came under new management a couple of years back). not much of a shop, but it’s easy cycle into town. and an easy wobble back after chucking out time. nice walks/rides into the estate from the back of the site.

this little fellow was our closest neighbour last time we camped there.

been a long time since i camped at glenmore, but it was fine. the guy in the next tent snored really badly.

Clink

cheers folks – booking done 😀

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Marty…we had these as entertainment the whole time we were there! 8)

and the devil squiggel!! 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I’m a long-time fan of the Glenmore site, but it’s now run by the Caravan & Camping club. Rates have gone up extortionately and I believe they’re now planning to build chalets.

The Rothiemurchus site has obviously benefited from this judging by the investment in new facilities. I found the proprietress to be a bit of a nazi, but the site itself is great. There’s basically a central car park and you just find a spot in the trees. Very much like camping in, say, France. The new toilets/showers are like mine en suites.
    The paths to the Lairig Ghru, Loch an Eilean and Loch Einich almost run through the site.

waynekerr
    Free Member

midges? oh yes!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Campsite in Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.