Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Campingtrackworld: What Tent???
  • mboy
    Free Member

Bit short notice, but basically decided to buy a new tent ready for Mountain Mayhem next weekend. Last few years have made do with a cast off 2 man tunnel tent from a friend for various events (only time I camp is generally at cycling events) which is bearable for me on my own. But with a GF with a broken collarbone in tow, I think it’s definitely time to upgrade to something significantly more comfortable!

So… Ideally… Wants to be big enough for 2 people to spend a few days in in comfort, so would like to be able to stand in it. Needs to be durable enough to deal with me and my dirty gear for a few days at a time, would like a sitting area, but most of all, needs to be really pretty cheap!

Went to Go Outdoors today and had a look at a few… This interested me most, not just cos of the discount, but cos it actually seems pretty good. So, camperists, please advise me! I know very very little…

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-gobi-4-p148802

wrightyson
    Free Member

Where you at? Anywhere near any of these shows?
    Yeomans
    Do some really good discounts and all tents are up.
    Also decathlon had some good ones in a couple weeks ago.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Gelert atlantis 5, get one for £80 on eBay,iv got one,lovely tent

petrieboy

If budget allows, get a bell tent. Ideal for your purposes!

mboy
    Free Member

Where you at? Anywhere near any of these shows?

Sadly not. Kinda need to get the tent sorted within the next 7 days too really.

Gelert atlantis 5, get one for £80 on eBay,iv got one,lovely tent

I can only find the additional porch for around £80, cheapest I can find the tent is about twice that. Looks ok, but not outstanding, and I’d rather a dome than a tunnel.

If budget allows, get a bell tent. Ideal for your purposes

Would love one… Stayed in one for a couple of days a couple of years ago, floor space kindly let out to me by qwerty of this forum on a Quantocks meet up Sharki was guiding. Absolutely loved it, but sadly my budget is not much more than £100 really.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I recently got one of these…
    Kampa Woolacombe 4

Plenty of room and quite versatile removable partitions plus a built in porch/vestibule.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I don’t know if any of these are suitable, but I can speak for the quality.

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/

Quality, however, never rarely comes cheap.

bentandbroken

I have a large (6 man) tent for sale. It is about 4 years old, but has only been used for approx 20 nights. I am looking for about £100

It has a large ‘dining area’ easily big enough for bikes and a table and chairs and a main criteria when buying it was headroom so you can stand up in the bedrooms and the dining area

There are three bedrooms, but you don’t have put them all up which means even more space for bikes etc

It also has a sewn in groundsheet which has been proven to keep out the water/mud in extremely tough conditions

I am near Salisbury, but can transport to Basingstoke if that helps

I think my email is public so feel free to get in touch for more info

geoffj

Have a look on Gumtree – loads of good looking sh ones for sale around here.

funkynick

We’ve got a mahoosive tent for going away for a week or more, but seeing as it comes in about 3 bags we decided that we needed something a little more managable for just the two of us for weekends etc…

We ended up getting a Wild Country Aspect 4, mostly because it was tall enough to stand up in, while still having a relatively small footprint, but mostly because there is a porch area which is big enough to store a couple of bikes in without having to have them in the sewn in groundsheet area.

We found that a lot of tents these days have the entire area inside the tent as sen in groundsheet, which, if you have a bike is just asking for trouble! But finding anything, except the huge tents, which worked for us seemed to be impossible until I stumbled across the Wild Country tent… used it at SSUKG this year down in Dorset and it was spot on…

takisawa2

For its size, THIS, looks good. Packed weight is less than half the pole bag alone on our Montana 6. Would give you a decent living area for cooking / sitting in, plus leave the other bedroom in & your bikes & kit will go in as well. Pretty much full height throughout too.

Woody
    Free Member

I think you would be hard pressed at your price range to find something better value than the Gobi 4 unless you go 2nd hand. I quite fancied one of those for short trips but not much good with two dogs!

Bound to be something decent and local on Ebay finishing in the next few days but some of them seem to go for stupid money, especially now the weather is nice!

My Gelert 5 cost £50 off fleabay last year and it’s great.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh wow – sorry just noticed you said “stand up in”. Lightwave is not the Co. for that. Sorry.

bentandbroken

More info on my tent;

Pictures

Review

Price: £100ish

Location; Free delivery between Poole and Basingstoke

@ mods; I think I am allowed to pimp as it is pertinent to the original question and I am not a dealer, but if not feel free to delete my post

flowerpower
    Free Member

We bought the Gobi 4 from Go Outdoors. Think we paid £199 with the carpet/rug and additional footprint groundsheet.

Haven’t tried it yet so can’t comment, but bought it after having a good look around. Like you we just wanted a bit more space than our 2 man tent offered, being able to stand up is a bonus. The ‘dome’ shape appears much more stable than the tunnel tents and at that price i don’t think you can go far wrong…

The bag is bloody heavy though!

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers all for the input.

bentandbroken, I’m nowhere near you I’m afraid, so would cost a lot in fuel to even come and see it.

Think I’m just going to do what flowerpower has done and go for it. Not convinced I need the carpet though! 😉

peteimpreza

There is. Company hiring out tents at this years event. Checkout the Mayhem website.

BenjiM

We have an Atakama 5 from Go Outdoors. It’s been great for the last 3 years we’ve had it. Room to stand up in, Porch/cooking area. Loads of room for 2 and plenty of space to bring things in when it inevitably starts to chuck it down (usually 2 hours before you’re due to go home). £100 at the moment however it is the one that nearly always drops to £60/£70 in a sale (usually around school holidays, which you’ve just missed)

Atakama 5

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I bought a Khyam Highlander about 8 or 9 years ago. It’s been a God-send. Amazing tent and goes up/down super quick. The only problem is having a tent that goes up really fast is you end up helping everyone else thread pesky poles and set up tents they’ve never used before.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCxShBP6vh0[/video]

mboy
    Free Member

There is. Company hiring out tents at this years event.

Saw that a while ago pete, and laughed out loud! I’ve just bought a better tent than they’re hiring out, for the same money! Yes I might have to put it up and take it down myself, but I will be able to do it again and again for as long as the tent lasts… 🙂

We have an Atakama 5 from Go Outdoors. It’s been great for the last 3 years we’ve had it.

Looked at the Atakama 5, quite liked it, but the sewn in ground sheet and extra features (for only £25 more) on the Gobi 4 was much more appealing… Anyway, popped back to the new Kidderminster Go Outdoors store tonight and bought one! It sure is a weighty beast (18kg bag), but for the money, there was nothing else that looked anywhere near as good quality.

Oh, and bought a double blow up air bed too for £9.99… Even funnier that they’re renting them out for £15 each at Mayhem for 3 nights!

Coleman
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Campingtrackworld: What Tent???’ is closed to new replies.