Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Campingtrackworld – Sleeping bag advice needed
  • devash
    Free Member

I’m after a decent synthetic fill 3 season mummy bag for general UK camping (car camping using a tent, so doesn’t need to be lightweight) but I’m really confused by the different temperature ratings.

I’ve already bought a Mountain Equipment Starlight 3 bag which is rated using the European Comfort system as Comfort -1 degrees C / Limit -7 degrees C. Supposedly this means that the bag will be comfortable for the average woman down to just below freezing and an average man down to -7.

Is this going to be a suitable bag for valley camping in the Lakes in September? I’m a warm sleeper so a little worried whether I should have bought the bag rating below (Comfort +3 degrees C / Limit -2 degrees C).

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Supposedly this means that the bag will be comfortable for the average woman down to just below freezing and an average man down to -7.”

this is most definitely not what it means.

some sleeping bags have female temp ranges listed on the label as well – but what you are suggesting is dangerous thinking.

the limit is the temperature what the average man will get sleep without waking while in a curled up position – it wont be very comfy.

the comfort is that which a woman can sleep in a relaxed position for 8 hrs.

Testing done wearing 1 layer plus a hat.

septembers a hard month to gauge for kit – and ill flit back and forth between my blue kazoo and my pipedream 200 depending on the forecast and the level at which im camping.

If im car camping in the uk outside of summer i would just default to my synthetic winter bag which is an older version of the pioneer 450.

its not as warm as it used to be – its about 15 years old but its perfect to open out and use as a quilt.

deft
    Free Member

Comfort/Limit/Extreme are all ratings they are obliged to give. Mountain Equipment have their own ‘good night’s sleep’ temp that they say is more relevant/real world so that’s the one to look at.

Fwiw I have a Starlight II and it is a very good bag, not given me any reason to doubt the temp range on it

towzer

You can buy liners/thermal liners -they are also easier to wash

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Campingtrackworld – Sleeping bag advice needed’ is closed to new replies.