Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Camping witha hammock – will I cry?
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

So, I’m off on a bit of a kayaking adventure and one of the places I will stopping is a very small, heavily wooded, deserted island. Rather than the usual teeny tent, I’m going with a hammock. I’ll likely be away 2-3 days and to save space, won’t bother with a tent (hammock has midgie net). Anyone any real experience of overnghting in a hammock? Will this end in tears?

martymac

*watches with interest as quite fancies this idea myself*

bearnecessities

No idea, but sounds awesome!

chambord
    Free Member

I saw a TV programme where David Beckham did something similar in the Amazon. I don’t think he cried but he was upset by the spiders.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

this is it

neilwheel
    Free Member

Not good for my back, why don’t you try it out at home first?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

No place to hang it. Can try the woods up the road but not sure of the wisdom of trying this out in dogging central (or maybe…..)

chewkw
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

this is it

Should be fine.

Pyro

You’ll be fine. I’ve slept in my hammock (DD Camping double-layer) quite regularly, always slept well once I’d got a few basics sorted out.

Main thing to note is that a sleeping bag underneath you ends up compressed, so you’re more susceptible to the cold from underneath than if you were on the ground on a decent mat. Stick something like a foam mat underneath you in the hammock, sleep slightly diagonally on it (not straight down the centreline, helps you lie flatter), and you’ll be fine.

Oh yeah, are you taking a tarp for over the top if it rains?!

globalti
    Free Member

MIDGES.

shermer75
    Free Member

They’re fine once you get used to it, like above it took a couple of goes to get the formula right…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its great and all the issues are highlighted above.

Defo tarp it though.

andyfla
    Free Member

Spent 3 months in one in the Amazon a few years back – so IMHO:
    1, Pull it tight so you are sleeping as flat as possible, not in a banana as you always see (although with a large one you can sleep diagonally so you are in fact flat.
    2, Use a stick at one end to spread the ropes out so you have room for your shoulders,
    3, Tarp is a def over the top – we had a triple stacker going once, although in the rainforest the rain does come vertically as the wing tends to struggle to get to ground level.
    4, Agree on the cold issue

Its bloody awesome way of sleeping, even managed to accommodate one of the fairer sex for an evening in it

andytherocketeer

also used one in the Amazon.

blimmin uncomfortable, didn’t sleep whatsoever, and yep did the diagonal thing. even when it’s 29C round the clock day and night, you still get cold.

boots strung upside down, and quadruple check for spiders. yup we saw the spiders, and no way was I going to argue with them, even if the most likely method of death is falling coconuts/trees.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Agreed, spent 9 weeks living in a hammock in the Balkans. Loved it vs sweating it out in my tent. You neeed a cheapo foam cell pad for under you. As others have said, even with the world’s warmest sleeping bag you will freeze without one even in the hottest months.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Used one on a canoe trip, worked well.

Make sure the ropes at the ends are not too stretchy – otherwise, you’ll set it up nice and flat and it will sag to the ground by morning.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Hammocks are great. But can take a night or two to get used to.

Raise the foot end a few inches above the head end as this makes a world of difference. Sleep on the diagonal if you can as this is the flattest way to sleep.

Cold backside is an issue even in warm climates. If the hammock is a double layer you can place a sleeping mat or even spare clothes to keep you back warm. Alternatively you could rig an under quilt, which is a insulation slung underneath the hammock so your body doesn’t compress it. Get a good tarp as well. Makes a world of difference.

Some ideas here – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?s=hammock&submit=Search

apj
    Free Member

Have slept out in my dd hammock with a standard cheapo sleeping bag and been plenty comfy and warm enough without a mat, so maybe try it first before deciding you need one if if space/ weight is an issue. Deffo get a tarp as we’ll though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Oh yeah, are you taking a tarp for over the top if it rains?!

ex army poncho with the head opening cinched tight should do the job

MIDGES.

net – it’s in the pics

cold bum – am taking an old karrimat or newer thermarest. i’ll check which is the best fit
    – looking forward to this, more than i was

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Spent a week canoeing around the lakes of Sweden stopping on a different island each night. We used DD hammocks with midge net, air mat underneath and a sleeping bag. Also used a 3x3M Tarp over the top.

Top tip is ditch the rope that comes with the hammock and get some light duty cargo straps. They won’t stretch the same as rope and you won’t have the problems of very tight knots to undo in the morning. Something like these – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-CAM-BUCKLE-TIE-DOWN-CARGO-LASH-STRAPS-2-5M-X-25MM-Weather-Resistant-strap-/131123457206?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item1e87912cb6

First night was interesting after I’d tightened the straps too tight. Got in after too much fireside whiskey rotated 720 degrees before being deposited face down on the floor.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Top tip get some whoopie slings, easy to put up, to adjust and not stretchy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Camping witha hammock – will I cry?’ is closed to new replies.