Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Camping with kids – recommend kit or locations?
  • wooobob

We’re planning on camping this summer, as an affordable holiday option (and one I’ve been plugging for a while). We have two boys, 5 and 3. And a dog.

I’m not planning on going too mad, but I was thinking that an electric hook-up and cool box would be very helpful. We have bought a tent, and we have air mattresses.

We basically want to spend time somewhere nice by the sea. I was thinking of Northumberland, but it’s a bit of a schlep (we’re in Surrey). Perhaps Wales.

I think the most vital part is the weather, which we can’t influence. That aside, are there any experienced campers out there who can recommend places, or any particular gear or other tips which I might utilise to elevate this beyond ‘tolerable’ for missus?

boxelder

Fold up table. Folding fabric chairs with arms.
    Site with nice, posh looks and showers.

Cougar

we have air mattresses.

Personally, I’d throw them in the bin and get proper camping mats.

Cougar

particular gear or other tips

Buy Gellert, buy twice.

Camping is an area where buying cheap crap is a false economy. I’ve thrown away so much “not fit for purpose” gear it’s not even funny.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yeah! Tent, water, sticks, matches.

Oh, erm…

elevate this beyond ‘tolerable’ for missus

In that case…

Wine
    Get up with the kids (at 5am), leave her in bed
    Taxi for her to a b&b at 10pm, return at 9am? 🙂

holdsteady

Northumberland and Wales are good choices, have a look at Southwold area in Sussex, Dorset and Cornwall too for good seaside locations.

If your Mrs isn’t prepared to rough it, be prepared to pay a little more and choose somewhere with decent facilities – showers, proper toilets, bars, shop and kids playground etc. Campsites these days are far superior to what they were 20-30 years ago

anagallis_arvensis

You can maximise the chances of good weather by not going to northumberland!! Try to be close to a dog friendly beach too.

petrieboy

Kit wise, I picked up a huge 12/240v cool box from halfords this season replacing an old much smaller one that was rubbish. New one is great, keeps milk and perishables cold and quiet on Eco mode overnight.

We have a 5m bell tent and whilst it’s absolutely brilliant, they are big money so not what you are looking for

Sleeping wise as has been said above, bin the air bed. They are all rubbish* we have a pair of the fattest Alpkit jobs for the adults and a pit of the 3/4 length light weight ones for the kids. We all sleep very well on them. If anyone in your family is a little reluctant of camping, a couple of nights on an air bed will likely kill any possibility of learning to love it!

Cougar

We have a 5m bell tent and whilst it’s absolutely brilliant, they are big money so not what you are looking for

They’re also bastard heavy IME. Not something I’d want to carry, well, anywhere.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Air beds are an OK starter but you’ll soon realise there is better. Buy a hand pump as well as electric as they will want topping up and firing up the leccy one late on is going to upset folk.
    Ebay is good for bits too as many people either stop going or progress onto caravans and subsequently sell their kit cheap!
    An awning for your tent is also a godsend if weather is rubbish as you can still get the stove on.

wooobob

Anyone have one of these Vango sleeping mats? Airbeds are a bit crap, at least for adults.

wooobob

I do have two quite different ideas of what this might look like: one with just the kids, and one which is very expensive!

redstripe
    Free Member

A good place to go with kids camping in Wales is Carreg Llwyd by Port Eynon beach on the Gower. Good beach, rock pools, chip shops, tat shops, nice walks etc. Good base for days out to Rhossilli, Three Cliffs bay, Mewslade & into Swansea for the leisure centre with wave machine and the Mumbles for Verdi’s ice creams. Use to take my kids there when little and they loved it.

SaxonRider

We camp every summer with the kids, and we have a lot of them to camp with! It is the only way we can even afford to holiday, and have used a range of gear over the years.

One thing we save money on is NOT getting an electrical hook-up. We just don’t find it necessary.

To make sleeping more comfortable (I have a back made of fine-bone china), in the last year I started using a camping bed instead of a mattress. It makes a HUGE difference to my delicate sensibilities.

Finally, I live in Wales, and last year spent three weeks camping in God’s Country (Northumberland). Both are magnificent places. You might try finding a site near Tenby. Fantastic.

In the end, though, even if I was rich, I would probably still choose camping as our mode of holidaying together as a family.

rene59
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ if you haven’t already. Full of hints and tips for beginners, gear setups, kit reviews, locations and campsite reviews.

wooobob

Thanks all, lots to look at there 😀

lodious
    Free Member

Cadac’s gas cookers are great. We have a small one for beach / picnicking and a larger one for doing breakfast / evening meals. The small ones are brilliant when out with the family….so easy to pop into a local a shop and pick up bits to BBQ.

Kunstler

Well… I can offer up: miles of sandy beaches, with not too many other people on them, backed up by pine woods, tidal inshore waters – the warmest sea you’ll ever swim in. In the first week of August it’s carnival week – small enough for it not to feel like an overcrowded festival (town pop is 3000 but goes up considerably in carnival week) yet really good for kids with stuff on every day and in the evenings there’s bands on outdoor stages on the town green (they seem to like a lot of reformed bands like ‘The Animals’ or cheesy tribute bands) or open air cinema. Plenty of pubs and restaurants for such a small place but there’s also a beer festival on a sailing ship permanently moored in the quay. It’s a unique experience being on board the Albatros. It’s full of earthy, honest character much like it’s laid back Dutch captain who funnily enough is called Ton. He’s cycle toured all over Europe too.

The place is Wells-next-the-Sea on the north Norfolk coast. It’s where I lived until i moved to Scotland and I’ll be going back there for carnival week. I’m very much looking forward to that as it’s the best place to be for that week of the year.

From this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nice-british-seaside-town/page/3

If I was looking for sleeping mats for that type of camping I would definitely go for a thick self inflating type.

THis alpkit looks the business

bonchance
    Free Member

in no particular order..

thermarest or similar +1.
    Longer trips a folding camp bed with a thermarest on is nice
    A decent table to eat at. Gooutdoors have a self contained folding one with separate benches and stools. I never liked the briefcase ones – some do though!
    comfy chair (of course!)
    quite a few chill blocks to rotate through the campsites freezer (assuming you are camping with out mains!)
    if you want the kids in a sleeping compartment before it’s properly dark – an ipad with a movie on?
    we like a tarp to put the table and cooker under as well

enjoy it – I think you kind of need to build the experience together – try and avoid bringing too much – each should get a ‘kit’ allowance – get them all involved!

If your still touring the tent shows – Carefully consider if you really want a monster tent (Outwell Montana etc.). They are excellent examples of the type, but all represent a fair endeavour; transport, pitch, pack etc. I find this sometimes turns a long weekend into harder work than it should be, which taints the experience a little..

bonchance
    Free Member

d’oh saw you already bagged a tent!

oh and a cricket or rounders set, football and aerobie. Former is great for an all-comers on the camp site series!

simonpedley

We live in Dorset and the beaches and location is great. South Devon is my old home and the beaches are great there too. We have just come back from camping this weekend. The thunder storm was an interesting experience! We have self inflating mattresses which are much more comfortable than air beds. The collaspable tables from go outdoors are good. We have the adjustable legs one so the children / us can reach from a camping chair which are quite low comparison to some tables. Antibacterial wipes and alcohol gel for quick hand cleaning. If your kids need a pee during the night get a toilet bucket for emergencies. Like someone else said have a look at the uk campsite website for useful help / ideas. Aldi / lidl have some good camping stuff when they do their promotions.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Not near the coast but Fforest Fields near Builth Wells is a superb site. A lake to swim in/canoe on, they do BBQ evenings and other stuff. Immaculate shower/kitchen blocks.

When camping with my sone when he was younger we did the electric hookup so he could watch DVDs etc in the evening. But more importantly, we had a toaster and a kettle which makes things much easier than trying to do stuff on a stove.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Camping with kids – recommend kit or locations?’ is closed to new replies.