Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Camping with dogs question.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I'm thinking about buying a tent, nothing fancy, for occasional usage. The problem I have is that I have a dog, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and there will be times when I will have to leave the dog alone, showers etc or during the night, and I'm concerned about her bolting or other people bothering her.

I am thinking about buying something like this.

Leaving her in the car is not an option as it gets pretty hot here.
    Has anyone used one of these cages? Are the dogs ok with them? Any other suggestions? 50kg weight and muzzle?

Thanks.

iDave
    Free Member

this might take up less space

oxnop
    Free Member

We crate trained our beagle from being 8 weeks old – he ended up loving his crate it became his safe area.

Dogs feel safe in small spaces – i'm sure your dog will be fine.

EDIT – we use one of those twisty things as pictured above – really useful when camping.

donsimon
    Free Member

The twisty thing isn't an option, the cage is to keep her safe and to keep her safe from the public. 😉
    And also how will I get it into the Spanish concrete ground??? 😯

Del

assuming your tent is very well ventilated, or your just leaving her/him under a dining shelter or something, it'll be fine.
    buy the crate now, and put his/her bed in it. when they get used to it, just close it for a half hour or so, then open it again. no bother.

donsimon
    Free Member

buy the crate now, and put his/her bed in it. when they get used to it, just close it for a half hour or so, then open it again. no bother.

Hadn't thought about that, thanks.

Woody
    Free Member

As above, crates are great and dogs really do feel safe in there and not confined.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

we used a cage for our first dog on holiday, now have another for the second dog and it sleeps in it all the time. took him a while to get used to it and stop whining and scratching at it, but now he loves it!

chrispalmr
    Free Member

You will want to have time to acclimatise your dog to the crate – I'd suggest a couple of weeks. As others have said, place bedding/blankets inside (we have a blanket on top to make it nice and dark) and let the dog discover for itself. Strategically placed biscuits often help.

NEVER COERCE YOUR DOG INTO THE CRATE

NEVER SEND YOUR DOG TO THEIR CRATE AS A PUNISHMENT

Our mutt sleeps in his crate every night and most of the day, he loves it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We just stick our in the car boot and leave a window open – no problems at all.

Never used a crate – they don't seem right to me.

Milkie
    Free Member

I totally agree with chrispalmr, our's also spends most of the time in the crate, it's not a place for punishment, its their safe place.

I highly recommend DAP Spray to help with your training of getting the dog happy and relaxed going into the cage and then finally in the cage.

Good luck! 😉

anagallis_arvensis

chris's advice is good, having said that our lurcher whilst quite happy in her crate when younger hates it now a tarp on the back of the car and tied to the towing eye does her.

donsimon
    Free Member

How secure is the car when you are not present?

richc
    Free Member

with a dog in it, more than likely pretty secure

Jase
    Free Member

FFS don't leave it in the car in any kind of heat 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

NSS! 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Camping with dogs question.’ is closed to new replies.