Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Camping with a puppy. Any advice?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

We’ve arranged to go camping and are wondering how to best cater for our 6month old puppy. Any top tips?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Take it’s cage, throw a blanket over. Get a ground anchor for a leash. Don’t use bungee cord.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Be aware that other people may be sharing the immediate vicinity & might not like your puppy barking all the time.

BTW I’m a dog owner & don’t take my yapping little bastid for this reason 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cater for him? Won’t he just eat his usual food?

🙂

No seriously, what 5thHefelump said – just bring the stuff he sleeps in now, maybe a few extra blankets in case he gets cold. Ground anchor (screwy inny thingy) is quite handy. And hope to bejeesus he doesn’t bark – remember any sounds outside the tent won’t be muffled like they are at home – so if he’s nervous, keep it in mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

6month old puppy

Sod the camping issue!

Lazgoat
    Free Member

This was taken in the summer a couple of weeks ago.

_AEK8496 by Andy Kahumbu, on Flickr

She doesn’t bark or howl and sleeps great in her crate. We’ll also take some extra blankets for added warmth. May even borrow a second tent to put the crate in if it is wet or windy.

racefaceec90

aw bless 😀

eskay

Did it once, never again. Barked lots, would not sleep at night and peed in the tent.

Now goes to kennels.

onehundredthidiot

Don’t let anyone feed her Matheson’s Smoked Sausage. Someone did this to mine on a DofE exped. He woke up, puked in my hat then went back to sleep. Filled the **** hat, whcih was right by my head. No idea how he didn’t wake me.

onehundredthidiot

double post

5thElefant
    Free Member

And a camp chair…

willard

I took our eldest camping once when he was a puppy. He was put in his crate at night, but moaned so much that we took him in with us to try and avoid a lynching. He would not settle, chewed the leg of my wife’s jeans and caused such a big argument that we went home the next day in a foul mood.

The next time we tried it was when we had the other dog as well. It went marginally better, but they slept in the car this time whilst we slept in the tent.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Dogs love camping!

5thElefant
    Free Member

That one clearly wants to go home 😯

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Hmm this is an interesting thread.

Our 4 yr old is desperate to have a dog, I am quite keen but the wife has a real phobia of dogs which I think will help if we get one (a puppy).

However one of my arguments ‘for’ getting a dog is that our life style is being outdoors tand we love camping so the dog would love doing that too.

Might have to back track on that one 😉

binners

What everyone around you will be wishing you’d done….

MrsToast
    Free Member

That one clearly wants to go home

That was at Mountain Mayhem last year – he stayed for a couple of hours, then we realised it would be horribly unfair (on everyone!) to make him stay the two nights. So I drove him back home, where my sister-in-law immediately popped him in a warm bath and cleaned him up. I drove back to Mountain Mayhem, jealous of the dog (because he was going to be warm, dry and clean, not because he was being bathed by my sister-in-law…).

We’re pondering trying again this year, but hopefully will be able to do a camping test run beforehand – hopefully in a campsite with not too many people around. He doesn’t tend to bark, but it’d be a very weird and new situation for him, so we don’t know how he’d take it. :/

If it’s bad weather again (or if it turns out he hates camping), he’ll be popped into a boarding home – fortunately he loves it there! The dogs aren’t caged, they just sleep on their beds in a big utility room, and they get to run freely around the garden, or sit with the family. Probably far more preferable to sitting in a tent in the mud…

CheesybeanZ

Colin at mudhem last year. he luvs camping , were off to HOTS at the weekend with him 8)

5thElefant
    Free Member

That was at Mountain Mayhem last year

I don’t blame him then 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Laryngectomy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Camping with a puppy. Any advice?’ is closed to new replies.