Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Camping /touring question: Strapping sleeping bags under handlebars?
  • 13thfloormonk

slightly paranoid question here, i've got my sleeping bag stowed nice and neatly under the handlebars using one bungee and some inventive cable routing.

any risk of damaging the sleeping bag through abrasion? I know people do this all the time but i don't want to experiment with the expensive bag my g/f bought me… 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

put it in a dry bag ian ! thats what i do never damaged it yet !

singlespeedstu
    druidh
    Free Member

I've carried a tent like this and noticed no rubbing anywhere.

13thfloormonk

I've seen those, and might well be ordering soon, unless i can recreate it on the cheap!

Cheers Terry, i've got a big old dry bag covered in gaffer tape, nothing's getting through that.

Pieface

Dry bag wil keep it dry and any abrasion will be done to drybag rather than sleeping bag.

scratch
    Free Member

Daft as it sounds check the bungee hook for sharp edges (around the spiral end rather than the hook) I usually wrap some gaffer round it just in case.

I've been using a drybag under the bars to store clothes on long distance rides for a few years, there's been a couple of times when the bags rubbed against the hook end and worn through the bag. Easily fixed with a tube repair patch though. Alpkit drybags are excellent and cheap!

I'd go with 2 bungee's and get it strapped up as tight as possible tbh,
    last thing you want is it unraveling down some tasty descent!

Get some pics of the trip up too!

13thfloormonk

Cheers, found a big old dry bag, now about three layers of dry bag between the sleeping bag and the bungee, should be fine. Wish i'd tried this on my trips previously, more weight over the front wheel and less on my back, double bonus!

Scratch, doubt i'm going anywhere thats not been photographed/discussed to death already on the forum, but i'll get some pics up anyway (especially if i can get some of glen tilt night-riding on thursday night)

davidrussell
    Free Member

the daddy

alpkit dry bag,

ebygomm
    Free Member

Other half had a bag tied to his handlebars. He managed to wear away all the paint on the steerer tube in one day because of how the bag was rubbing against it and it was wet and gritty. I'd tape any potential frame/bag contact points.

13thfloormonk

good point ebygomm, would have forgotten that!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Camping /touring question: Strapping sleeping bags under handlebars?’ is closed to new replies.