Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Camping South Coast or South West
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Well.. caravan really, but I didn’t want to put that in the thread title 🙂

We’ve been to West Wales the last few times out, so fancy a change as in the title. My wife seemed interested in Cornwall but I reckon it’d be shockingly busy over the BH weekend. I was thinking maybe Ilfracombe or Bude or something as possibly quieter.

Other option is Bridport or Lyme Regis area.

Campsite recommendations welcome – prefer the small field with a tap variety.

IHN

Heading to Devon or Cornwall for the Bank Holiday?

Good luck, I’d set off now…

I was thinking maybe Ilfracombe or Bude or something as possibly quieter.

Relatively speaking… However, there’s a lovely site in Watermouth Bay, just North of Ilfracombe.

http://www.littlemeadow.co.uk/

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be leaving Thursday night and returning Tuesday morning probaly.. in a vain attempt to beat some of the rush.

Nice site, but comes to almost £30/night 🙁

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Big bike Bash on the BH weekend. Beer festival, music festival, bike festival

In the heart of the New forest and close to some great beaches too

molgrips
    Free Member

We did discuss that, WCA, but it’s also costly and we are strapped atm 🙁

jam-bo

I live 30 miles from the north and south coasts and I won’t be going anywhere near them on a BH weekend…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

and we are strapped atm

Ditch the van and camp. Included in the ticket price and probably cheaper than a van hook up for three days over the BH 😉

No worries, maybe next year

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

There is this one South of Chard: http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com/ if you want woodland camping.

Freshwater Beach http://www.freshwaterbeach.co.uk/ near Burton Bradstock (just east of West Bay) – has its own beach, and is near the excellent Hive Beach beachside cafe

Or Graston Copse http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/england/west-country/dorset/563-graston-copse – also near Burton B.

I’m not familiar with ones nearer Lyme, but there are a few good ones IIRC.

LoCo
    Free Member

Touring Caravans

ace, cheapish, pool, nice facilities and if on grass pitch you can have campfires 😀

Was there a few weeks ago with van and family

stumpy01

We stayed in Wooda Farm Park just outside Bude a few years ago. It’s quite a big site, not really a ‘tap in a field’ type place, but nice anyway.

My memory of camping in Cornwall was spoiled somewhat by the constant rain that we had for the duration of our stay….. 😆
    Should go back sometime and try it again.

brassneck

I’m not familiar with ones nearer Lyme, but there are a few good ones IIRC.

There’s a decent site in Uplyme but I’m not sure it takes caravans. Bus or walk into Lyme is a nice day out, fossil hunting on the beach.
    There is also a C&CC site if you’re a member? Thats more tap in a field.

Or further afield to Mount Folly Farm above Bigbury on Sea – lovely beach when the tides out.

molgrips
    Free Member

They all look like big holiday parks.. not so keen on those.. I may have to join the CC.

Milkie
    Free Member

I bet Ilfracombe will be very busy, it usually is. But it does mean you could check out Keypitts AKA North Devons Rider Trail Centre and tell us what it’s like! 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

We stayed at Golden Cap near Lyme in Seatown. Its not a tiny field but the layout means you can find a quiet corner if you are lucky. Its tucked down a lane and right by the beach so has a nice out-the-way feel. Good walking and nice pub very close by.

Mount Folly Farm

One of my favourite tap-in-a-field camp sites. Nice views from the hilltop but that does make for a bit of a hike to the beach. That’s South Hams so not on your list but a nice place to be. Better beach than the Lyme area and not as far as Cornwall so a good compromise

molgrips
    Free Member

Mount Folly looks good.

Doesn’t have to be in those specific places I mentioned btw – just generally ish.. or even somewhere else.. that’s not West Wales 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Golden Cap at Seatown is ok, but does have the feeling of being bigger/more claustrophobic than it is IMO. Plus the pub is trying too hard on the food now & may lose repeat casual visitors.
    The others I mentioned aren’t that big – been to much worse in Devon & Cornwall over the years!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Camping South Coast or South West’ is closed to new replies.