Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Camping Pods, the lakes.
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

The wife is buggering off to see her mate in Dubai next week so I thought about a little jaunt of our own me and the kids… And the dog. Was thinking of a pod in the lakes as its not too far, south lakes that is. Somewhere near Grizedale maybe as was thinking about go ape and the superworm trail… The Mrs would never really be up for it so its a good opportunity to have a little adventure. I’ve stayed in pods before in Scotland so know my girls will love it.

Obviously there’s a fair bit of choice now so was just after any recco’s ?

Ones with a light and plug sockets preferably, and pet friendly

ebygomm
    Free Member

The ones at the YHA at Hawkshead are fairly handy for Grizedale. All the facilities of the YHA to use as well. Not sure about pet friendly though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Yeah cheers, just looked – no pets but no availability either

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s some at pooley bridge too, a bit further north though.

postierich
    Free Member

Some pods at Eskdale Campsite pretty basic though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shite, forgot – pods at borrowdale yha. Awesome location.

tetchypete
    Free Member

Pods at Low Wray and Langdale NT campsites don’t take dogs either ( don’t these people realise that 1 in 3 families have a dog?) but some nice shepherds huts at Hoathwaite campsite near Coniston do. Not sure about availability though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. No pets at any YHA unfortunately. pooley bridge looks good but full, Eskdale I’ll phone tomoz…

mick_r

There are pods at Grizedale campsite I think. Also some pods near Ulverston (quite a short drive to Grizedale).

Elsewhere – North Lakes there pods at Lanefoot Farm which is right next to Whinlatter (go ape and gruffalo stuff). Not the lakes but Dalby forest has pods on 2 different farm sites (go ape there as well).

Not a clue about dogs in all of the above.

rickmeister

My mate has Yurts in Borrowdale and Langdale, dont know if they take pets though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

those shepards huts looks ace but 3 night min (im just thinking one) but the rest are either full or wont allow pets…

momo

The quiet site near Ulswater has pods, not sure if they accept pets though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

yeah reckon ive exhausted my search now but struggling for any availability pets or not. only really want saturday night but would pay for 2 if that was the minimum. thought about just letting the dog sleep in the car or even out on the deck in front of the pod but the only one ive found YHA Hawkshead wont even let them on the site. wondering whether to borrow my mates tent now? but that might be a bit much with just me and the bin lids – youngest is only 2. gone from a nice idea to a pain in the ass.. another option is to stay sunday night and throw the eldest a sicky from school – seeing as tho her mother is away…..

hegdehog
    Free Member

As postierich said- Eskdale campsite.

No mains electricity but the site has plenty of facilities & the area is good for families, also says pet friendly.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites/club-glamping/camping-pods/pods-at-eskdale/

There are some pods at Grizedale, but i don’t think the facilities match Eskdale..
    http://grizedale-camping.co.uk/?Camping_Pods_At_Grizedale_Campsite…

There’s also a couple of places near Kirkby Lonsdale-

http://www.woodclosepark.com/wigwams/

http://boxtreefarm.co.uk/camping-cabins-at-box-tree-farm/ (EDIT: This one doesn’t take 4 legged friends)

hegdehog
    Free Member

Or these near Ulverston-

http://glampinglakedistrict.com/

northernmatt

The quiet site near Ulswater has pods, not sure if they accept pets though.

We stayed in one at the quiet site for a couple of days. Their pods are a bit more compact than some others. No pets though iirc. Great views across Ullswater.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Or these near Ulverston-

http://glampinglakedistrict.com/

20 min pedal to grizedale from there

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Jackpot Hedgehog! just booked two night at the ones at Wood Close Park.

These seem to be the same as the ones at Glentress ive stayed in before, at least they have a plug socket, heater & lights. dog friendly and really handy to get to! good price ‘all. many thanks.

all of the others mentioned were full, i did find one at Rydall Hall Christian centre (!?) that was very basic, i deliberated then when i decided to bite it had already gone too so im delighted with these… perhaps I should’ve searched Wigwams instead of Pods…

hegdehog
    Free Member

Great News Jaffe! 😀

Hope you have a good time, let us know how you find things.
    Never been there myself but know the site has a good reputation.
    If you’ve never been to Kirkby Lonsdale, it’s quite a nice place. Worth a walk in & enough there to loose a couple of hours.
    There’s a few places to eat & drink, Avanti is good for pizza & pasta, plus is reasonable.

Never stayed, but the site at Rydal also looks good. It’s set in the grounds of the hall, has a cafe, waterfall (with folly) & some short walks in the gardens. It’s also next to Wordsworths home, St Mary’s Church & Dora’s Field. There’s also a couple of good easy walks over to Grasmere from there..

boxelder

The NT campsite near Torver has nice big yurts.

Here

rockhopper70

Tag for future

MadBillMcMad