Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Camping light question.
  • davidjones15
    Free Member

What’s a good light or lighting arrangement for a family tent. I was looking at a few, LEDs, wind up, but none of them stood out as being anything spectacular.
    I’d want something that would be bright enough for reading while taking a late beer and maybe a couple of smaller lights for ambient lighting.
    What can you suggest?

restless
    Free Member

I bought a few of these :

Rolson 61770 72 LED Camping Light for £6.85 off Amazon for my tent.
    It is a massive 8 man tent and lights up well.

If we stay on a site with electric hook up I also take an old Ikea garden lamp and plug that in, saves on batteries.

spooky_b329

12v fluorescent camping light, 10 metres of flex and either a cigar plug if your 12v socket stays powered when the car is off, or a couple of crocodile clips to go direct on the battery. I’ve run one for several nights without any issues starting the car at the end of the week. If you have a towbar with a grey socket, (in addition to the normal black one) this also has a permanent live so you could wire a trailer plug onto the lead and use that instead.

CraigW
    Free Member
    dropoff

We use the Alpkit one. Its very good and the batteries last ages.

Muke
    Free Member

Cheap UFO lights from Wilkinsons…

garage-dweller

I use a camping gaz lantern. Always used these when i was a kid. Nice even light and gives off some heat too.

Have to be careful with them but our toddler gets the hot thing and don’t knock it over and keep away from.the edges and make sure its properly off at night!!!!

Mugboo

We have an £7.99 Led inspection lamp from Screwfix. Bright enough to read with but not so bright that the rest of the site can see your every move.

I use a small Ring inverter and take the extension reel from home. I run it from one of the two 12v sockets in the back of my van which run off my leisure battery (old van battery).

Slogo
    Free Member

+1 for the camping gaz one. Theyre great I’ve had one for years.

The output of light and heat is amazing! A lot better than batteries plus the gas can be used stoves With the same can.

higgo
    Free Member

Our tent is huge inside and all the inside walls are dark green/grey so it takes some lighting.

We use a couple of these: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/lanterne-bl-100-id_8091795.html
    We still need head torches to read comfortably.

peterfile
    Free Member

+1 for muke’s UFO light.

We use that exact one for normal camping, then a little LED one for wild camping.

molgrips
    Free Member

Black Diamond do some pretty cool ones in various sizes.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I went back to using tea light lanterns a few years ago

more than enough light when you get used to it, and I don’t have half the problems with midges/insects that I used to have.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Camping light question.’ is closed to new replies.