Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Camping kit list
  • geologist
    Free Member

So unexpectedly I have had a tiny amount of money land at my feet. I want to use it to update my camping equipment. It has to serve two purposes; the first is bike packing, and the second is to do the occasional overnight/2 nighter with my 8 year old. Nothing too extreme , just walking on the Longmynd/Elan Valley to a nice camping spot when the weather is good.
    It’s been along time since I bought a lightweight 1/2 man tent and so on, so are there any recommendations for small tents, 70 litre backpacks, stoves or anything else useful etc?
    I don’t have loads to spend so can’t stretch to the premium brands like MSR.
    Thanks

Yak

Storm lantern with citronella oil.

Edit – your spec has just appeared. Scrap my thoroughly car camping luxury suggestion.

scotroutes

Generally, avoid a 70l rucksack – especially if cycling.

I did a bikepacking kit list (wow – 4 years ago!!). Might be a bit out of date but would give you some ideas.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/05/bikepacking-kit-list.html?m=1

geologist
    Free Member

Yeah, the rucksack is only for the walking element. I did bike pack once with a 40 litre and it was an experience !

Basil

Alpkit is good

geologist
    Free Member

Thanks Yak – great idea for the family glamping trip though 🙂

Thanks Scotroutes

piemonster

How many days are you planning on walking and how much are you planning on carrying?

70l is a pretty big pack in my view.

TJ will be along to tell you about his well thought out lightweight sofa he carries around.

I’m more of a sleep in a ditch type. But what works for you will be very subjective.

wrecker
    Free Member

Sportspursuit is always worth a look.
    They have the Montane rucksacks at half price, a variety of tents at different prices (and weights, although none are super light)

Junkyard
    Free Member

TJ will be along to tell you about his well thought out lightweight sofa he carries around.

Julie will kill you if she reads that 😉

Cougar

I did a bikepacking kit list (wow – 4 years ago!!). Might be a bit out of date but would give you some ideas.

How do those “pot cosies” work? You don’t put them on whilst on the burner do you?

TheBrick
    Free Member

No, it more like hay box cooking good for doing rice or past with minimal fuel, also I have used one just to keep the pot warmer while eating in the cold!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I am a decathlon fan. I have bought a fair amount of stuff from them over the years from tents to lamps. Have a browse around one for ideas. I do find the stores vary a lot though. Surrey quays good, reading good, Southampton and Bournemouth ok, not nearly the range carried.

scotroutes

Nah. Use the cosies to keep the pot warm if you’re eating out of it or pop a hot pot in it to continue the cooking without using so much fuel. I also use them to keep any rehydrating food (the stuff in foul pouches) warm as it can take 15 mins or so.

scc999

OP – I have a Karrimor Jaguar rucksack that might suit you. It’s from back when Karrimor were a decent brand and not Sportdirect crap!
    Adjustable back length and removable side pockets. Used a few times but great condition – I stopped backpacking not that long after getting it as an insurance replacement (other one got detroyed in a van fire – sad times).

Anyway, it’s yours if you want it.

Si

whitestone
    Free Member

OP: What do you currently have and what, if any, of it do you think you need to replace?

Lightweight, quality kit costs money – unfortunate but that’s the way it is. The big items (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, rucksack) will be the items you can save most weight/bulk on but will cost most to do so.

Alpkit are worth looking at for bikepacking kit, I’ve not used their camping kit so can’t comment on that. I’d avoid bikepacking with a big rucksack if you can, the weight is too high and makes things too unstable. To begin with you can just strap dry bags to the bike rather than going the full hogg and getting harnesses/bags etc.

CraigW
    Free Member

I know you said you can’t stretch to MSR, but the PocketRocket stove is available for about £25. It is pretty simple and reliable, and packs small. Works nicely with a small mug or pot.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Camping kit list’ is closed to new replies.