Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Camping isle of arran
  • lord
    Free Member

Evening my lad and me are going to arran for four days tomorrow , were taking a couple of old school burners to pass some time but is there any must see/do places ? Cheers

ebygomm
    Free Member

We stayed at a great campsite on the coast. Could see otters and seals from the tent. Will look it up
    Edit: was seal shore
    http://www.campingarran.com

lord
    Free Member

Thats the one we are going to , it looks great

tcomc1000
    Free Member

You should see basking sharks this time of year as well. Cycle around the island, some good singletrack around Brodick. Don’t have the fish and chips by the Brodick ferry as they are terrible. At the very southern tip of the island is a good pub overlooking a rocky outcrop. If you fancy some wild swimming the from sannox valley take the path from the car park up. Good pools to swim in. Watch out for the midges ( skin so soft is a top buy, as well as a midge hat) and the Lochranza distillery does good cake and a good tour. Also a couple of golden eagles live in the mountain behind it.

tomd
    Free Member

Stayed here a few years ago

http://www.campingarran.com/

Lovely small campsite right on the beach, would love to go back.

Glenashdale falls is a must see for me, and a walk up one of the hills on the north.

phiiiiil

If you’re up for a walk the view from the top of Goat Fell on a nice day is pretty epic, all craggy mountains and sea in all directions, and it’s not very difficult a walk either if I recall correctly…

butcher

My experience is limited. Jumped on a ferry, cycled around the coast, and back on the ferry again. Got the impression that there’s not a whole lot to do there, but that’s kinda the point. The islands are full of stunning scenery. Traffic tends to be relatively sedate. Take your outdoor kit. Go walking, riding, barbecuing. Enjoy the fresh air. The crashing waves. The wildlife. Wash it down with a glass of whiskey… It’s an amazing area.

towzer

bikes –
    if at Seal Shore, W on coast along road then track from campsite, up to Auchenhew(we saw red squirrel here), W towards Kilmory, N Kilbride Hill, head Glenashdale Falls/Giants Graves (good sarnie spot)follow obvious high track above (to L when facing up hill from graves)Giants graves S round towards S end and it will loop you back and drop you out just above Kildonan (that last bit is not on map)

*can also get to Lamlash (split above Whiting bay) on Forestry tracks

black dotted track N behind Lamlash is like Annapurna(can go up track beside road to Brodick joins at P sign then W on track ), but the bit E down Glen Cloy to Brodick is lovely, also cycle up Glen Rosa (S side is cart/easier) N side is bit rocky(rritatingly so imho …) but drops you on tracks behind Brodick Castle. Brodick-Clauchlands /Lamlash is good.

Decent (imho)Resties – Staggs, Lochranza on campsite – prob need to book. Glenisle Bistro in Lamlash , Diutillery café – Lochranza is nice

Pubs – Kildonan Hotel(at Seal shore – view), Pier Lamlash – views
    Cafes – Lamlash at pier, Whiting Bay near burn)

If in Lochranza go deer spotting – it won’t be hard.

google tips(*honest and work safe) – Huttons unconformity arran, dyke swarm arran,

Davesport

A couple of words of advice.

Midge & Repellent.

D.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Camping isle of arran’ is closed to new replies.