• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hooja.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Camping in/around Ambleside?
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Hey guys, thinking of a weekend hiking around the Ambleside area, any good campsite suggestions? (Will be tenting with the other half, so nice amenities would be handy)

footflaps

Great Langdale NT Campsite is where I used to camp. Now use B&Bs as I’m older and lazier…

Two great pubs nearby and easy access to the fells (the start of The Band is just outside the campsite style).

momo

Great Langdale NT campsite as above, spending a week there with MrsMomo in August, great setting and good facilities, went for the first time last year following a recommendation from another friend.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll have a look!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Rydal Hall
    Nice pathway into Ambleside to stagger back along, café on site, straight up and over Jenkins Cragg or across the road and round Loughrigg, what more do you want!!!

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

A water-front pitch at Low Wray is quite spectacular.

honeybadgerx

Bays Brown campsite then walk to Elterwater and got to the Brittannia Inn for food and beer. Much better pub than the Old DG/Sticklebarn, plus campsite tends to be much quieter. Farmhouse sometimes does cooked breakfasts or supplies bacon, etc. too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had some bad experiences at langdale campsites, often overcrowded and noisy, sometimes pi$$heads playing music at 1am.

I’d recommend Rydal Hall as above. The facilities are very good. Big shower bays, underfloor heating, clean. never had any issues with inconsiderate nobs

PS like the sound of Low Wray as well, never been tho

elliptic
    Free Member

If you do end up at Rydal Hall (which would be a good choice) then there’s good beer and food at the Badger Bar next to the turn-off from the main road. Full disclosure: its run by my brother-in-law 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I think the NT campsites are pretty strict on music and the like. Low Wray and Langdale are both lovely spots.

hooja
    Free Member

+1 on Langdale NT site, now i don’t live up there anymore its like a second home. Cant fault it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Camping in/around Ambleside?’ is closed to new replies.