• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Camping in S. Europe – what to sleep in? Presumably sleeping bags are too hot?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Off for our first camp in that France (Ardeche) looks like minimum night time temperatures are around 20C, what do people sleep in, are our UK focused 3 season bags going to be too hot? If so what are the alternatives?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

light weight bag or liner? All depends on the sleeping arrangements though

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs stoner and I use a double sleeping bag (two flat bags – not mummy-shaped) zipped together. Gives you a nice cotton base to lie on so not too sweaty, and the ability to unzip each side and fold down the top half allows for changes in temp. Id rather pull a cover up or down than wrap myself in any bag even if v light like a silk bag liner to allow for better evaporation/chilling.

ampthill

In hot weather I use a light sleeping bag but just over me

A sheet to go over your sleeping mat helps

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looks like a trip to Decathlon may be in order

boblo
    Free Member

If it’s 20°C, just sleep on top of your bag. If it gets a bit chilly pre-dawn, pull it up like a duvet. The Ardeche is bloody hot this time of year, you could get away with just a sheet to avoid sticking to your mat.

jon1973
    Free Member

We use the same sleeping bags irrespective of the temperature, but just tend to use it more like a duvet when it’s hotter.

dknwhy

I use a normal bag unzipped but have a cotton sheet over my mat.
    We normally camp in the mountains though so get the occasional cold, damp morning.

allfankledup

Used to use a really cheap sleeping bag when I worked in the Ardeche, undo the zip if too hot.

We used to bivouac quite a bit when taking kids down the river on canoe trips, worth looking at doing similar if you get the chance

wrecker
    Free Member
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 Cotton sheet on mat

Last time I was in Languedoc midsummer it was so mad hot we just lay unclothed on the mats until a chill came then half-covered with sleeping bags.

A light blanket and cotton sheet would be my ideal combo

ransos
    Free Member

Mrs stoner and I use a double sleeping bag (two flat bags – not mummy-shaped) zipped together. Gives you a nice cotton base to lie on so not too sweaty, and the ability to unzip each side and fold down the top half allows for changes in temp. Id rather pull a cover up or down than wrap myself in any bag even if v light like a silk bag liner to allow for better evaporation/chilling.

We do the same, plus a cotton liner so we can fold the sleeping bag right down and just sleep on the sleeping bag base.

pondo

Mrs Pondo and I tend to go more coastal, so guess it’s probably a bit cooler at night than the Ardeche – we have;
    Two single airbeds
    An elasticated bed sheet to hold them together
    A thin duvet to lie on
    A thin duvet to go over the top

Two airbeds means that, when one of us rolls over, we’re less likely to wake the other one up, duvet underneath cause an airbed can be quite cold, duvet on top is more comfy than a sleeping bag, for my money. We try and put the tent somewhere shady and generally we’re good to be lazy arses until the sun hits it. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Camping in S. Europe – what to sleep in? Presumably sleeping bags are too hot?’ is closed to new replies.