Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Camping in Northumberland
  • parkedtiger
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a family friendly campsite in Northumberland ? On the coast is preferred. Thanks.

Drac
    neninja
    Free Member

The Camping and Caravanning Club site at Dunstan Hill between Embleton and Craster is great. I took the kids there a couple of weeks ago and going back next week (with the wife too this time).

It’s not too big and they space everyone out well so even when fully booked it doesn’t seem to busy. It has spotlessly clean loos and showers and very friendly staff. The pitches are very flat and not rocky too. There’s a couple of swings and a climbing frame/slide for kids plus as it’s fully enclosed the kids can go exploring. It’s only about 1/2 mile from a really lovely sandy beach – either on a footpath straight there of a quick drive if you have loads of stuff to carry down there.

The Cottage Inn http://www.cottageinnhotel.co.uk/ offer a minibus service from the campsite to the pub and back so you don’t have to drive (it’s only a couple of minutes drive away). You just ask for the service when you book a table.

Other pubs and a decent kids playground in Embleton.

I’ve used the Beadnell C&C site before and it tends to be very windy as it’s open with no cover and is next to a busy road. I wouldn’t bother with that one.

Procter Steads is ok but Dunstan Hill is nicer IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beadnell way is best

parkedtiger
    Free Member

🙂 Excellent – thanks for the recommendations.

Morning Mike – hope you’re well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not bad mate keeping watch from a distance! Dry up there yet?
    My auntie lives just up the road from Craster, there is a good off license (Proper Beer) in Seahouses and the fish and chips are good. (that about it)

Butchers in Bamburgh does great sausages too.

Also have a look at the Alnwick castle gardens if you get bored of the coast.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Proctors Stead. Great pub couple of hundred yards away.

Used to take my kids all the time when in UK. Northumberland is the best place in the world on the day that is Summer.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

not bad mate keeping watch from a distance! Dry up there yet?
    My auntie lives just up the road from Craster, there is a good off license (Proper Beer) in Seahouses and the fish and chips are good. (that about it) Butchers in Bamburgh does great sausages too.

Beer, meat, and chippy – the essentials ! The sun actually made an appearence yesterday so we ran up Jenkin Hill before it decided to disappear 🙂

Thanks for the recommendation uphillcursing.

neninja
    Free Member

If you want fish and chips, the Dunstan Hill campsite has a mobile fish and chip van visit the site on a Friday evening and another night I think.

Bamburgh sausages +1 – lovely.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

I can recommend Budle Bay campsite (here)…although it was a couple of years since I was last there. Very family-friendly, not far from Bamburgh and excellent mugs of tea/bacon sarnies available from the on-site caff.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t forget to do a boat trip to the Farne Islands. Me & the Mrs went a couple of weeks ago & I saw my 1st ever Puffin(s)! & loads of other stuff. (including a very close view of a Great Blackbacked Gull killing a young Cormorant) 😕
    £11 each & we were out about 2hrs which I thought was pretty good.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Camping in Northumberland’ is closed to new replies.