Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Camping in Morocco, particularly the Atlas Mountains
  • marcus
    Free Member

Anyone done it, Care to share your expeiences ?

rickmeister

I cant recall seeing any formal sites as such. Local houses and rooms are easy to find as are backpackers type places.. If your a member of a climbng club there are mountainerring huts with reciprocal rights CAF being one. I reckon it would be a just get on with it type situation.

Where are you going?

marcus
    Free Member

Rick,

Not really sure yet. Just a vague plan to drive down there and do a bit of touring around and a few day walks.

montylikesbeer

Had a go at Mt Mgoun in January of this year.

My mate went last year on an organised "charideee" trip to do Toubkal and got tapped up by one of the guides to go direct to him if he ever went back.

So its what we did, got picked up from the airport, taken to a great hotel in Marrakesh, then a week of being driven, guided, cooked for and accommodation for about £45.00 per day.

Also saw a side of the country we would not have if we were totaly independent.

It was a bit snowy mind !

My advise is to get a guide for a couple of days in the mountains, that way you will get more bangs for your bucks in a shorter time.

rickmeister

Similar thoughts as Monty, go and stay local and get a lot more out of the trip with a side of the culture not otherwise seen. I have a couple of addresses in Marrakech of folk who guide/work in the country and could help. I know working with local folk can sort a cook, driver and guide for you at a reasonable rate. Worth checking out. As I said, camping just looks like a get on with it option but there is loads of interesting places to stay ranging from rooms with families to properly serviced hotels, caves (yes really), tents…. all sorts.

If you need any help closer to the time etc etc…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Camping in Morocco, particularly the Atlas Mountains’ is closed to new replies.