Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Camping ideas please. where in Scotland?
  • finners

As part of my girlfriends birthday she wants to go camping (as well as me taking her to Rome 😕 ). Can anyone suggest a place to camp within an hour or so drive from Dundee? I would like it to be preferably next to a Bothy, with river / stream nearby and a forest in close proximity….. Maybe near braemar or in the Trossachs??? open to ideas, please help…. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Driving / walking / cycling? Wild camp?

finners

Sorry, driving there and wild camping. There is a small group going (around 8 at most) so i would like a bothy to spend the evening in, but we will be camping in tents / under the stars weather permitting…. All will be done responsibly, i have to practice what i preach 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I'm not aware of any bothies where you can park a car nearby.

finners

Oh no, i understand that. Dont mind the walk in to the bothy/ campsite. If fact it would be welcome. Not too far mind 😀 ……..

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Any bothy that is a short walk from a road will be ned heaven.

finners

I was thinkin somewhere near Derry lodge. Perhaps out towards Corrour bothy. Only its a little sparce tree wise near that bothy…. I forsee a day skiving in front of maps when i return to work 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree with Druidh.

There is a shelter only about 2 miles from the road head near Carn Liath. Not really a bothy and not the most fantastic of sites. Not much water around either.

I know of a forestry site in the woods the Harry Lawrie Bothy near aberfoyle that we used to use but I havent been there for years. It has a hut on site and you used to be able to get cars up to the site by devious driving along foresty roads. Really meant for boy scouts – you used to be able to book it but that has been stopped

Can't think of much else. Try asking the forestry commission in th trossachs????

bruneep

bothy/hut at Glenfezie short walk off A939

swiss01
    Free Member

seeing as how the mountain bothy association has such an (un)lovely time with people who, rather than using the bothy as a shelter, fancy it for a bit of a party, i'll direct you to the following
    http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-code.asp

trail_rat
    Free Member

i could but i wont for the same reasons above.

Go camp up the sidlaws next to the stalkers shelter – trees near by and there will likely be a stream down the bottom …..

failing that camp on the approach to the cairnwell from braemar next to the river on the L/H side – plenty options for forest out of braemar

If you promise not to get to pissed up and annoy the locals then look at tarfside – be warned though if you are loud the locals will move you on – do not abuse this site as if it gets closed there will be alot of annoyed people !

HeatherBash
    Free Member

There is a small group going (around 8 at most)

Not a small group as far as the MBA / bothy etiquette is concerned.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Camping ideas please. where in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.