Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Camping hiking expedition forum like this one? Where? Or, anyone answer this?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Hi, looking for a forum like this but for camping/expedition type discussion. If I google camping forum I get loads of stuff about caravanning and camping, not really what I’m looking for.

Or, can anyone answer this:

I’m looking for a good 4/5 season sleeping bag but in a rectangular shape rather than the usual mummy shape – I know the mummy shape will be more efficient but I can’t stand the restrictive straight jacket type fit, don’t mind extra bulk and weight as I won’t be carrying it. Most rectangular bags are summer or 3 season. Found this: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/EXP1550 which looks versatile and I like the idea of the arm zips, thought of using it with my rectangular summer bag, but can’t find it anywhere in the UK. Any other options?

Thanking you’s 🙂

twang
    Free Member

OutdoorsMagic. Loads of reviews, forums, classifieds and the like!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think Rab will make you a rectangular bag to your spec, you’d have to ask them about price though:

http://www.rab.uk.com/

thegreatape
    Free Member

PHDesigns

nickname
    Free Member

I also can’t stand restrictive sleeping bags.

I’ve got a Snugpak Softie Autumn Chrysalis (3 season). The sleeping bags in this range are great as they have a baffle zip that can be used to give you extra room. This is the only bag I’ve used so far that I feel comfortable zipping up, I used to just use sleeping bags like a duvet and never actually get into them 🙂

Are you planning on using it somewhere real cold (i.e. not in UK)?

If not, I wouldn’t bother with anything more than a 3 season. i’ve used my snugpak in scottish winter conditions – it’s comfy down to -10, plus you can then ‘add’ additional warmth by wearing extra layers, using a silk liner or sleeping in a tent 🙂

Is that Exped sleeveless? If so it doesn’t seem like it would make a good 4/5 season bag (cold arms!).

Another similar concept is the german army sleeping bag. Not sure if you can get this with different temp ratings…

Nick

seven
    Free Member

What is the 5th season?

Anyway, you could just get a 4/3 season bag and use a liner. This will add a seasons worth of warmth and save on cleaning

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

OutdoorsMagic, great thanks.

I like Rab stuff, probably work out expensive but like you say worth asking.

I’ll be using it in the Himalayas so could get cold at night, nothing too extreme though – not up the sides of snowy mountains, but will be in tents and I’ll have a duvet jacket too. The Exped thing has zip up arm holes – I think the old Buffalo system is the only other bag I’ve seen with this but saves you having to zip out completely to do anything, but it’s a 2/3 season. I have a Vango Ultralite Square which is 2 season so was wondering about using 2 similar bags together to make a more versatile system with the extra space?

5th season 😆 yeah, I think that’s extreme cold, artic or altitude conditions … ? I think we need to have a 6th UK season added – continuous wet and windy !

nedrapier

5th season is Canadark.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Camping hiking expedition forum like this one? Where? Or, anyone answer this?’ is closed to new replies.