Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Camping heaters?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Anyone found a decent heater for use in or around a tent? No electrical hook up available. Taking the kids camping up north in a week or so and the 4yr old gets a bit cold in the evenings.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Chuck some hanwarmers in the sleeping bag?

sweepy
    Free Member

This winter I will be trying a tilley lamp for light, and heat. They are supposed to give off quite a bit.

duncancallum

Hot water bottles. Bit young for whisky at 4.

scotroutes

We’ve used a single gas burner, something like this..

You’d probably get one at Decathlon or Go Outdoors. Make sure it can run off a propane/butane mixture or you’ll lose pressure at low temperatures. A bigger (than 220g) cartridge will also make the whole thing more stable.

csb

Are these burners safe inside tents in terms of gases given off?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

csb- exactly what I was thinking, horrific news story about a family poisoned in their sleep by carbon monoxide.
    That said, one of those radiant heaters in front of an open, small tent could make a huge difference. Big family tent though I think furry onsite, sleeping bag liners, decent kids sleeping bag (the ones out two have from Decathlon were fairly cheap and very warm) and a decent bed should make almost anything warm. Rechargeable hand warmers as a treat to get them into bed is a cracking idea as well 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are insanely dangerous to use even in a big tent IMHO

That last one[ mt lugz] is better but i would rather be cold that gassed or burnt to death personally

willard

That is awesome! I wonder if I could put that in my van…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Heater

Probably one of the “death” heaters as mentioned above. Runs off the same gas canisters as the portable stoves. Used to great effect many times but you do have to be very careful with it and I would never leave it on overnight. Just good for taking the chill off before bed.
    However it condenses like a bastard when its cold on the inside of the tent.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get a battery operated CO alarm just to be on the safe side

scotroutes

lolling at all the reports of my imminent demise

pk13

How come the people in the artic don’t get co2 poisoning when they cook in tents ect. I’ve always wondered. It’s not like they stick the barbi on outside the tent door.

scotroutes

pk13 – we’ll have none of that rational talk in here!

IIRC the recent deaths have been due to smouldering barbecues not gas fires.

takisawa2

Trick is not to get cold in the first place, so nice hot shower, then into jamas under a fleece onesy type affair, with thick socks & fingerless gloves. Pop a hot water bottle or two in to each bed before they get in.

Is there no way you can get a hook up ?
    1kw keeps even a large family tent pleasantly warm (compared to outside night time temps) & mostly condensation free.
    Has your tent got a sewn in groundsheet, as that helps too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Camping heaters?’ is closed to new replies.