Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Camping en France
  • Kahurangi

Four of us are looking to get across to France in August/September for some gentle camping (big tent car-style camping), eating food, drinking and beaches etc. The girls aren't big bikers so we're not taking bikes with us.

We don't really have much of an agenda yet, we have an entire week (sat-sun) to play with, anyone have any experiences or suggestions they would share?

uplink
    Free Member

It's a very big country
    do you not have any idea at all where you want to go? – if not, how far are you willing to drive?

forlornhope
    Free Member

sorry cant help with suggestions,
    buts heres a good website with locations of campsites in france.
    I am currently using it to plot my camping journey from dieppe to portugal.
    http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/snelweg.htm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

have loads of suggestions of great campsites, but as uplink says, rather than put them all down, maybe you can help narrow it down a bit?

Muke
    Free Member
    ton

camping du lac in la trinite sur mer, is probably the best campsite in europe.
    where else can you pick your own oysters and mussles from a estuary to have for you evening meal…………. 8)

http://www.camping-carnac.com/

Paulio
    Free Member

Guillestre in the Hautes Alpes region (a couple of days easy driving from Calais/Dunkirk) is a lovely place to stay. The camp site run by Monsieur Pascale is just above the main town, is fairly basic (comfortabe though, not primitive) and is really nice and relaxed.

It's over 1000m up, near loads of lovely Alpine walks, St Veran (highest permanently populated place in Europe) and the town itself has good restaurants and a market.

Beware – there are loads of trail heads just up the road, got me chomping at the bit. I'm sure you could hire a bike. You can head to the South coast pretty easily once you've had enough of the alps too.

Kahurangi

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Plenty of ideas.

We don't have much of an idea where to go – this all came about because our planned stay in the Alps fell through when the development/management company folded. We then wanted something cheap-ish and didn't want to limit ourself to the UK.

I guess we'll get drawn where the best combinations of countryside and beaches are. West coast for waves? South and Alps for hills?

Mackem

Head towards the Pyrenees, good beaches round Biarritz and over the border into Spain, proper mountains too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Camping en France’ is closed to new replies.