Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Camping beds, help me choose please.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

After another camping trip with a flat blow up bed its time to invest in some of those roll mat self inflating type things. Don’t want to buy really expensive ones but they still need to be comfy. They’ll get plenty of use from festivals to car camping so don’t need to be super light/small or anything like that.
    Any pointers much appreciated.

twang
    Free Member

Double or single? If single have a look at fishing bedchairs, the adjustable legs are brilliant!

willard

If you want a decent, comfy self-inflating mat, I would have said go for an Alpkit Dirtbag (I think). It’s very thick and comfy, but they do not appear to be on the Alpkit website any more.

If you want an actual bed though, I’d back up the fishing seat idea. Gooutdoors has a huge range of these and they look very comfy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

We’ve got 5 Vango ones of varying thicknesses and all have been fine with no leaks. Even the 3cm ones are more comfy than you’d think.

Decathlon ones are also meant to be pretty good.

dknwhy

We use these for car camping.

Gelert xpedition 10

wrightyson
    Free Member

Its the self inflating type we’re after. Must have bought 4 of the normal double inflaters over the last 3/4 years, and to be fair they ain’t that comfy anyway once they lose some pressure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you want to use them regular then invest in thermarests.

outlasted anything else ive bought.

Our alpkits lasted just over a week of cycle touring in NZ (at the start of a 6 month barebones trip which – buying new sleeping mats meant less food budget !)

Replacement kathmandus self inflating mats lasted the rest of the trip but died when we got home.

vangos didnt last more than 2 trips.

thermarest is now 5 years old.

cp

I’ve got a couple of 7.5cm thick Outwell self inflators for car camping. Best 30 quid each I’ve ever spent. Lush and warm.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Thermarest give a very comprehensive warranty with their mattresses, which are very good; a UK climber took his much battered 10 year old UK bought thermarest to a shop in New Zealand and asked if it could be repaired – the reply was, why repair it, we’ll give you a new one on the warranty. However, if you’re used to a deep matress you may find it takes time to get used to them, if you’ve slept on a Karrimat, a Thermarest is luxury.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For car-camping (ie too big for bikepacking etc) – Vango Adventure 7.5cm DLX XL self inflater – all the way. After years of harsh treatment it’s still giving a good night’s sleep even with a 2 inch tear in the top of it. I also have a Thermarest Prolite 4 and Multimat, really like the Thermarest, but for basecamps and stopovers the Vango is first choice for proper, adjustable, snoringest comfort

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Camping beds, help me choose please.’ is closed to new replies.