Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Camping and Riding in the Lakes
  • looneylunn
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for a good camp site in the lakes? Ive never riden there so recomendations for trails would be good too, obviously fairly close to the camp site.

Ta Very Much.

Steve

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Ste, . . . try this £2.50 Per person per night !!!

Wasedale inn camping

The Barn Door Shop campsite is situated opposite the Wasdale Head Inn on the right as you enter the pub / shop car park. Access is on foot via the stile ( there is no vehicle access but plenty of parking is available close by). The rules are simple

No noise after 10pm , please think of others

No BBQ’s or open fires

Price is £2.50 per person per night, pay on arrival in the shop or pitch your tent and pay the next morning if closed

We do not accept bookings at all, but space is not a problem other than on Bank Holiday weekends

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Riding wise, there’s lots to choose from. It kind of depends on what you like. I can recommend spending a few quid on a decent guide book (which I’ve used before and recommend, and I’m a local)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1906148236/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0948153105&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0FAHP9VBV0KGSY18N4XB

Otherwise go to Wheelbase in Stavely or Biketreks in Ambleside with an OS map and a highlighter and they’ll sort you out.

Man made trails in Whinlatter are great, Grizedale not so good, but lots of excellent bridleways in Grizedale to explore.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d go for Kesick or Ambleside to start with.

The National Trust campsites we’ve stayed at are great. They don’t allow cars on the camping ground which means you get much better views and a lot less slamming of car doors at night.

Low Wray and Great Langdale are both good bases for riding around Ambleside. You can easily do a few great rides straight out of the campsite at either (and pretty much all of the major Ambleside riding if you’re prepared to put some miles in). The area between Windermere and Coniston is packed with good trails – most of the bridleways are interesting but pick up a route guide from Biketreks. Langdale – Grassmere – Loughrigg Fell is great. I think we’ve ridden the Garburn Pass via Troutbeck from Low Wray as well in the past.

For Keswick either of the campsites at Castlerigg are fine. You can ride the Borrowdale Bash and Skiddaw rides from there (you finish both with a climb to the top of the hill but you can do it on road if you’re tired).

National Trust as Wasdale Head was also good but riding there still unfinished. One of the few times i’ve ever turned back from a ride – we were heading up to Black Sail Pass when a big storm came in. Enough to flood the campsite so was probably the right move.

looneylunn
    Free Member

Thanks very much folks. I’ll let you know how we get on.

Steve

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Langdale NT is good – nice routes and a good pub nearby (Old Dungeon Ghyll). Consiton Hall is pretty handy for riding and some evening supping too, that was one we used to use quite often (I live here now though so don’t need to worry about such things anymore!)

Depends what you want from the campsite really! Nice one up Borrowdale too if you fancy getting away from the crouds a bit (on a farm near Seathwaite)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Camping and Riding in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.