Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Campervan question – awning rails
  • scotroutes

I’m looking to fit an Outwell Driveaway awning to my Trafic. With a pop-top roof, none of the suction/magnetic/throw-over guy line solutions are going to work so I need to fit some 6mm C-section awning rail.

Anything particular to look out for?

Drilling vs gluing (thinking Sikaflex 252)
    Shaping
    Maintenance

any other hints and tips.

Ta

IHN

Personally, I’d fit a proper Reimo style rail, as everything else looks a bit gash.

onehundredthidiot

kador rail

I got on of those.for.the t6 drilled.the holes to line up with the roofrack bolts and attached. It sits in the little channel low profile. I guess with a pop top you need a more interesting attachment solution.

willard

I bought a section of caravanne rail (C section) from a supplier in Essex somewhere and drilled it to fit the existing bolt holes for a roof rack on my T5. It works well and cost a load less than buying a retail rail. From the ground you can barely see it as it fits into a slight gutter and only required a bit of shaping to fit.

The only downside was that I had to buy 5m of the rail, but they cut it into 2 x 2.5m lengths, which worked out perfectly for me. I ended up giving the other section to a mate for his van.

scotroutes

Got a link?

IHN

Ah, hang on, you’ve got a Traffic. I saw campervan and assumed T5, what with this being STW

Anyway, Trailwagger’s looks similar, and is unsurprisingly half the price without the T5 scene tax 🙂

scotroutes

Ah – yes. mine is an earlier Trafic but might still work

Edit: £180. C-section would cost about £30

trickydisco
    Free Member

C section rail on mine. It’s in the rain channel in the roof and covered by the poptop so you don’t see it. was £12 i think. Sikaflexed to the roof (own a t4)

spacey

When I bought my awning last autumn I got an awning rail as part of the deal from this guy http://camperessentials.co.uk/product-category/awning-rails/

He spent a while on the phone with me as I measured my trafic and he cut my rail to size, drilled it at relevant points and curved it for the cab roof section. Also sent it with a set of instructions for installation including self tappers and some epoxy bonding gloop stuff. I probably could have sourced it and figured it out myself for a few £££ less but he was a nice chap and it made my life slightly easier. Could be worth giving him a call, he doesn’t list Trafics on the website but he did it for me. As said above it sits inside the pop up roof so is hidden when the roof is down. Nice neat job.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve done it already on my Trafic, and have a pop-top, will email you photos later.

Basically- I used the existing roof-bar mountings on the LHS, bought some of this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1493/9182/products/AW02-Awning-Rail-1B_large.jpg?v=1489050951

….and drilled holes where the rail needed to attach to the roof-bar mounts. I had to carefully countersink the holes for the screws/fasteners, so they would sit flush with the surface of the rail and not impede the awning rail itself.

With the roof down, you cant see the rail.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Campervan question – awning rails’ is closed to new replies.