• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Simon.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Campervan overnighter near Keswick
  • Simon

I’m looking for somewhere in or around Keswick to park two campervans for the night on Sunday. I’m thinking pub car park, lay-by, forest road/car park or even a cheap campsite (might be nice to get a shower).
    Any recommendations or ideas?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Layby next to Castlerigg?

angeldust
    Free Member

Check out the lane from High Hill that leads to the bridge to Portinscale. Always packed with cheapskate campers looking for a somewhere to park up without paying :-).

bungalistic
    Free Member

If you’re coming in via the A66 and turn off onto High Hill (eventually turns into keswick main st) there’s a right turn that leads to a foot bridge to Portinscale. I’ve often seen camper vans, mobile homes etc parked there so you could try that. (as mentioned above ha ha)

Scotgate Holiday Park is nearby, not sure what they charge for campers but won’t be much now it’s off season.

TomB

More scenic, noble knot car park (first forestry car park on way up whinlatter pass road). Not officially allowed, but will be no bother, there are picnic tables etc, nice woodland walks.

jekkyl

Newlands Valley? – Couple of pints and dinner in Buttermere then up the hill by 5 minutes. It will be deserted and pitch black, atmospheric with the sounds of the waterfall in the dark. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=319301&y=517640&z=120&sv=319301,517640&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=550&ax=319301&ay=517640&lm=0

postierich
    Free Member

Pub in Threkeld has let me park there a couple of times but I did eat there! forget its name
    http://horseandfarrier.com

Neb

The Lakes Distillery seem happy for campers to stay on the back carpark. A bit out of Keswick, but awesome food and drink.

sharkattack

I’ve spent a few nights in the lay by off High Hill. It’s easy to spot as there’s always loads of vans there. Get there early as it fills up. If you search ‘Cumbria Way Keswick’ on Google maps, it’s at the west of that footpath above Derwent Hill.

I’ve also stayed at Castlerigg next to the stone circle. Again, always other vans there. Less likely to stand out and get hassled.

(might be nice to get a shower).

If you find anywhere, do let us know.

Mugboo

Swimming pool will closed by the time we arrive…

postierich
    Free Member

YHA for a shower costs a quid!

Mugboo

They don’t mind you bobbing in?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Or Gareth’s farm at lane foot farm Braithwaite is an ace campsite that lets you have fires. Obviously not as cheap as a stealth park-up but a good spot.

TomB

Forgot to add, Swinside Inn in Newlands is in a lovely spot and would let you stay overnight if you have dinner. Might even be able to negotiate a shower, they have rooms.

Simon

Thanks for all the responses.
    Horse and Farrier has been suggested elsewhere too so we’ll probably try there.

Mugboo

Don’t forget your solar shower Si 😯

Simon

Horse and Farrier was great. They let us stay in the carpark overnight. Food was good and we dried our kit in front of the open fire.
    We did Nan Beild on Sunday in the worst wind I’ve experienced on a ride and we got snow too.
    Then today we did some ridiculous bike hike from Whinlatter, finishing off with a descent off Grisedale Pike.
    I’ve not had a shower yet 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Campervan overnighter near Keswick’ is closed to new replies.