Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Camper van heater
  • woody74

Now the cold weather is starting I want to get a heater for my camper van. Happy for it to work just when hooked up but want something that can run all night and is thermostatically controlled. Had a fan heater on last weekend which meant we were super toastie but it makes a racket so can’t leave it on all night.

Any recommendations? I know the built in types are the best that run from your tank but don’t fancy spending £400+

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Thicker sleeping bag / duvet not an option?

IHN

Much as I’d like an Eberspacher or Webasto super posh job, I’ll be going for a small electric oil filled radiator jobbie. You can get one for about £30, that’s what I’ll be getting now I’ve fitted Clive* with hookup.

*our camper is called Clive.

jota180
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and get a CO alarm/detector at the same time
    Aldi have Kidde ones for £15ish

geoffj

Much as I’d like an Eberspacher or Webasto super posh job, I’ll be going for a small electric oil filled radiator jobbie. You can get one for about £30, that’s what I’ll be getting now I’ve fitted Clive* with hookup.

I tried one of these in the caravan and it was less than successful – maybe some brands are better than others. Ours was a cheapie from Poundstretcher (says it all I suppose 😕 )

Stoner
    Free Member

I have an eberspacher that I fitted to the T4. Its almost too powerful for such a small cabin but it’s ace. It does take some battery juice though so Im considering giving it it’s own dedicated cranking battery – it’s not Ah that matters but it’s getting the amperage to the glow pin for 30 seconds – and fairly long, not very thick cables to my leisure battery doesnt always manage it and I have to run the engine for a minute and switch over to van battery just to start up the heater – once fired it takes very little elec.

However, as you say, theyre quite pricey.

An oil filled heater might will be fine but a bit bulky. I have a 400W “halogen” heater which could run for a while through the inverter and worked well. But it’s cheap, not thermostatically controlled, dangerous (prone to falling over – weighs nothing) and still quite bulky.

Stoner
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and get a CO alarm/detector at the same time

Why?

Eberspacher’s dont vent internally.

geoffj

Obviously

jota180
    Free Member

Why?

Eberspacher’s dont vent internally

He didn’t say he wanted an Eberspacher

woody74

I really want something that I can mount on the roof or high on a wall so the little one can’t get burnt. Thought of an oil filled radiator but cant find anything small enough. May be a small convection heater would be good.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/14417964/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CHeaters+and+radiators%7C14417957/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417957%7CConvector+heaters%7C14417964.htm

psling
    Free Member

What sort of output you after; maybe a panel convector heater like this 400W wall mounted model?

IHN

He didn’t say he wanted an Eberspacher

Okay, so what might he get that would carry a risk of CO poisoning?

JulianA
    Free Member

I was rather hoping that ths thread was going to be about the marvellous Dutch guitarist who was around in the 60s. Remember such fantastic hits as ‘Love Among The Windmills’ and ‘Look At All The Tulips’ with their wonderful soaring guitar solos?

Those were the days, my friend. Thought they’d never end!

jota180
    Free Member

Okay, so what might he get that would carry a risk of CO poisoning?

Ooh, I dunno, one of those stupid stove top heaters that killed that couple in the Lakes?

Whatever, worth it for the few quid it costs

woody74

psling – Now that panel convector heater might well do it. Seems quite small.

Flat panel infrared looks good, but expensive.

As we are also getting gas cooker fitted then will get a CO2/monoxide detector fitted as well. I know its not really needed but with a little one it’s amazing how paranoid you end up getting. Must not give in to irrational thoughts!!!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Have had an diesel eber and now have a propex – both good both can be a bit temperamental.

Have also used a fan heater on hook up and an considering building one into the van – thermostat controlled.

Would get a CO detector anyway, even though as Stoner says, the should vent externally, mainly because they are normally fitted inside the vehicle.

Stoner
    Free Member

woody – Dad has a “black” heater tube in the greenhouse.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170725757014

maybe run it from a thermostatic switch supply?

3bikeman
    Free Member

little oil filled rad from Dunelm mill – plugs nicely in when you have a hook up on campsites – no noise, not too large, about £20 – toasty

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Camper van heater’ is closed to new replies.