Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Camper van bike rack
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Ok , I am getting a T5 Campervan with tailgate and am looking for ideas for a secure bike rack (I know secure is a variable feast, but i need it to at least be safe for an hour or so on a busy street)

I have looked at a Thule 9031 which maybe only a North America product and like the idea

What does the collective use / suggest ?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thule states you need the 973 BacPac however I know of people that have used the 9105/9106 without any issues.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi Andyfla
    I have a T5 and have fitted a tow bar on it with my bike rack bracket – a Pendle I think – fitted between the bracket and the ball fixing. Two arms just slot into this and I can carry up to 4 bikes – with the potential to lock them to a steel eye as part of the bracket.

I’ve used the same bracket on various estates I have had and just don’t like the idea of hanging a bike rack on the back of a car or van doors. But that’s just me……..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pictonroad

The proper VW bike rack is the best thing about a T5, crazy to get anything else if you have a tailgate.

Steelsreal

what pictonroad said +1

scuttler

Some say the Atera tailgate mounted is better than the VW one.

The best one of all is the Atera tow-ball mounted as you can stick four bikes on, still open the door and it’s easier to take on and off if you’re concerned that the bike rack serves as an advert for the scum to come looking.

lastuphills
    Free Member

I have the atera which has been pretty good, if I have to leave it at all I put a big chain on, one end secures the bikes the other end padlocked to the rear towing eye.

lastuphills
    Free Member

Oh you have to upgrade the gas struts, easy to diy takes about 5 mins but it adds to the cost. Actually you don’t have to but if you want the tailgate to stay open with the empty rack on it you do.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers all, I shall have a look at the vw and atera ones

Stainypants

Get the VW one, having the rack on all the time is a massive bonus.

andyfla
    Free Member

How secure are they ?

pictonroad

Very, you can’t remove the rack without opening the tailgate. The mountings are hidden, they’re a step up from the fiamma style in every way. Look even better powder coated black.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

+1 for the VW rack, can even open the tailgate with 4 bikes on, needs holding up of course.

andyfla
    Free Member

OK, thats a def I shall go an look

Cheers
    All

mattbee

Personally hate the idea of that great big lump permanently bolted to the back of my van, think it looks awful and must affect fuel economy but each to his own.

I use a Westfalia detachable towbar and a Thule tb mounted rack if the bikes are going on the outside. Both can be locked to each other & vehicle.

Most
    Y if it’s just my bike it gets bungee corded tot he back of the front seats. Takes about 8 seconds and keeps it inside and as secure as is possible.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Yes I keep it on all year, doubles up as a ski carrier.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Camper van bike rack’ is closed to new replies.