Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Camper Van- anyone bought one to hire out?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Hey folks. ive been thinking about the above for a while now. Im just wondering if anyone on here has got any real life experience in doing it, bewheather they’ve done it themselve’s or used a company as middleman.. I realise there the best part of 30-40k for a good one. 😕

geoffj

A chap next door but one from me rents 8 out. When he started 4 years ago there were 3 companies locally, there are now nearer 30. It’s a tough old world out there.

brassneck

Where are you geoffj? I was wondering about this myself, mainly as a way to part finance my own 🙂

I’m wondering if being nowhere near a holiday area is actually an advantage.. as people can collect locally more easily (and then head off), or maybe offer delivery & collection for a small price. Got the space to keep one when not in use so it might be a goer, insurance etc. permitting.

geoffj

Where are you geoffj?

Perthshire

turbo1397
    Free Member

@brassneck. this is exactly why i want to do it. would like to have use off it myself and rent it out when im not using it ( which would be most of the time!)

andyrm
    Free Member

One of my mates does this (sells, restores and hires his own fleet as well as clients’ vehicles).

One of the best ways to do it is to have a pay as you go hire insurance policy which you switch on & off as people hire. Seem to remember the excess is high, so collect that in advance in CASH from the hirer as a deposit.

Will try and get a bit more info.

🙂

towzer

in MMM (Motorhome Motorcaravan Monthly) Sept 2013 there is an article bsed more at motorhome level.

The conclusion (*heavily summarized by me)
    Beware fools gold, £700 week is ONLY the limited peak weeks
    Strong market only for 16-20 weeks of year
    Don’t confuse turnover and profit
    Don’t hire if you don’t view it as a tool
    They suggest using a broker (but suggested careful research before choosing)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Camper Van- anyone bought one to hire out?’ is closed to new replies.