Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • Campaign for more responsible cat ownership.
  • kudos
    Free Member

Well, no-one else has closed it either. And unfortunately, you’re still here too.

And to paraphrase your good self, this place is a much better place for it. 😉

iolo
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    I keep a close eye on where my cat is whilst I am on this forum :

That bloody cat broke your keyboard

jam-bo

look on the bright side kudos, your input has really helped the OP’s campaign to gain momentum…

kudos
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend anyone waste their time by signing that petition as it falls so short of addressing the real problems with cats that it’s pointless.

I am, however, considering drafting my own petition, to make cat owners accountable for damage to bird, reptile or rodents that are protected by law. It might also include making it legal for landowners to use reasonable means to eradicate cats from their property (ie, trapping or shooting).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am, however, considering drafting my own petition, to make cat owners accountable for damage to bird, reptile or rodents that are protected by law. It might also include making it legal for landowners to use reasonable means to eradicate cats from their property (ie, trapping or shooting).

I can’t help but read this and have the phrase “sad little man” come to mind…

BigDummy
    Free Member

so attempts to dismiss me with an insult

I’m sure TurnerGuy doesn’t imagine that a Big Hitter of your calibre can be dismissed with such an insult. He’s just thought of an apposite description, and has shared it with the community.

😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was going to present an argument but I couldn’t get past the “sad little man” thought…

root
    Free Member

I’m not sure why OP is being attacked so much with mainly strawman arguments, it’s a perfectly rational argument – why should I have to deal with turds on my gravel drive, garden, veg patch and so on, becuase the neighbours decided to buy cats?

But you could not shoot it except in some very restricted circumstances to do with harm to livestock – not just because it was in your back garden. And that part of the law only exists because dogs can be a harm to livestock.

Out of curiosity, what livestock would I need to keep in my garden to be permitted to shoot cats legally? Or was that bullshit?

Euro
    Free Member

The law is a bit odd when it comes to cats. You don’t need a license for a start and there’s this from the CAB…

Cats are allowed to trespass, and generally the owner is not liable for any damage their cats may do. Here are a few methods to try for keeping cats out of your garden (but we can’t guarantee they will work for you):

• buying a cat repellent from your local garden centre or DIY shop
    • planting marigolds 30 cm apart around the outside of the garden
    • putting down lemon and orange peel or juice
    • placing lion poo, which is available on the Internet, on your garden –
    cats will think they’re in the lion’s territory!
    • buying a motion-sensor for your sprinkler from the hardware shop
    • shooting at the cat with a water pistol whenever you see it near your garden

So to keep other people’s cats from damaging my property i have to spend my time and money. Hardly fair considering I need a license for my dog. I also built an 8′ fence to keep her from escaping when i’m not there. I pick up her poop from the enclosure in the back garden (where i trained her to go) and if outside i do the same. If she damages property/bites i’m liable for damages and she could be put down.

If cats were good pets i could maybe understand the bias. But they’re not, they just use gullible humans for food and shelter. ****!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Also, the law needs changing so it is not a crime to protect your property, and the animals/birds – wild or otherwise – that dwell therein from these animals by killing them humanely if they trespass and harm or worry livestock. Same as it is for dogs.

the answer is obviously that Kudos should move to the US and join the NRA.

Do you really use an air rifle to shoot cats for pleasure kudos?

It’s simply a case of neutralising the threat to our threatened bird, rodent and reptile species. As a conservationist, I don’t take a great deal of pleasure in killing anything, but anyone who’s used a high powered air rifle will know the sense of satisfaction one gains from an accurate hit. [/quote]

Ideally he will then apply for a firearms instructors license and start teaching 9 year olds how to fire Uzi submachine guns.

root
    Free Member

the answer is obviously that Kudos should move to the US and join the NRA.

Ideally he will then apply for a firearms instructors license and start teaching 9 year olds how to fire Uzi submachine guns.

So again, you are attacking him rather than actually addressing his question?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ok apart from cats crapping in your garden what else could it be? Badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, muntjack, otters, mink, weasels, polecats, stoats, wild boar, feral goat, rabbits, hares, racoons or if you are unlucky your neighbour.

You going to kill all of these?

root
    Free Member

Ok apart from cats crapping in your garden what else could it be? Badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, muntjack, otters, mink, weasels, polecats, stoats, wild boar, feral goat, rabbits, hares, racoons or if you are unlucky your neighbour.

You going to kill all of these?

If they are consistently crapping in the same/similar spots day in/day out as the cats do, then yes, why not?

The crap is a health hazard, is probably doing nothing beneficial to my soil and contains god-knows how many pathogens.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So again, you are attacking him rather than actually addressing his question?

yes.

His questions have been answered, cats are untrainable and roam and you don’t have the right to shoot them. You can’t shoot foxes, and amongst other things they rip open peoples chicken coops and kill all the birds just for fun (maybe the same sort of fun Kudos gets from shooting cats!).

The crap is a health hazard, is probably doing nothing beneficial to my soil and contains god-knows how many pathogens.

and diesel cars chuck out carcinogens, farmers use pesticides that pollute the ground, there are a lot bigger health hazards around than cats.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

If cats were good pets i could maybe understand the bias. But they’re not, they just use gullible humans for food and shelter. ****!

I would tend to disagree with this opinion as my cat is a great pet. Very loving, brings enjoyment to my family, and a great asset to my household.

I would rather my cat than the neighbours dog who thinks its great fun to bark until 1:00am, usually on the days I need to be up early and need a good nights sleep.

Now that’s another argument about Dogs’ being a social menace…. 🙂

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member
    spyke85
    Free Member

I hate cats!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I want a Cat now. A British Blue. Or an Ocelot.

mt
    Free Member

The nuclear deterrent is a Patterdale Terrier.

mt
    Free Member

turnerguy “You can’t shoot foxes,” Yes you can. That is the main way that they are controlled now that hunting with dogs (a pack) is against the law.

This cat thing is an interesting divider of us all. I’m not interested in owning one but have nothing against them being around mostly, especially when they are friendly and come to say hello. Have spent time living next door to someone that had 7 at one point, they crapped around our garden. Had words and was told to f/off. so place a pile on the door step, it was not a constructive step. Nothing changed, I felt a little better though watch them clear up the mess.

Have fun one and all

imnotverygood

……14…..campaign is beginning to gain some momentum.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting my cat tattooed.

jools182
    Free Member

Awful things

A lazy persons pet

Chuck a bowl of food at them once every day then let them out to do their evil deeds

Spiteful little feckers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we get rid of the cats who will fight the evil lizard overloads when they come out, they are waiting for a chance…

Spiteful little feckers

A cat doesn’t have the attention span to be spiteful

Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Campaign for more responsible cat ownership.’ is closed to new replies.