Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Campagnolo ergopower and SRAM compatibility – it works (even with a clutch mech)
  • nemesis
    Free Member

Thought I’d share this as STW is well indexed on google so it’ll likely come up on searches and may be useful for some.

The background:

I’ve previously used a ‘Shimergo’ set up on my CX/winter road bike which is a 10 speed Campag ergopower shifter with a Shimano rear mech (anything other than 10 speed mtb ones) and 9 speed Shimano cassette and chain. That worked very well using the hubbub method.

The reason:

When using the bike for CX, I found that the rear mech was quite noisy and tended to hit the frame and rattle around as most mechs tend to so with the new (ish) clutch mechs out there to solve the problem, I thought it’d be great if I could use one.

The solution:

Following on from this article from Zinn at Velonews, it sounded like there was a simple solution – 10 speed Campagnolo ergopower levers with a SRAM 10 speed rear mech and Shimano or SRAM 10 speed cassette/chain.

So, I bought the following:

– SRAM X9 type 2 (clutch) 10 speed rear mech, medium length cage
    – Shimano 10 speed cassette (SLX 11-32) and 10 speed chain (HG50)

That’s basically it – I just fitted the parts as normal and in short, they work. I made sure I adjusted the gears to the middle sprockets just in case there were any slight issues with the differing SRAM/Campag cable pulls and it works perfectly across the full range.

You can use a clutch (type 2) or non clutch version of the mech so long as it’s SRAM 10 speed.

For reference, the chainset is a Shimano compact with 36/50 and a Shimano front mech.

Hope that’s some help.

DT78
    Free Member

Interesting thanks! I’ll prob give this a go on the next build

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Campagnolo ergopower and SRAM compatibility – it works (even with a clutch mech)’ is closed to new replies.