Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Campag Zonda wheels; any reason not to?
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Looking for a new wheel set for my CAAD 8, Ideally wanted to spend less that 200 but the Zonda wheel set are on wiggle for 246 which is justifiable as they have 35% off the rrp.
    Before I spotted them I was almost sure I was going to shoot for these and still might do yet.
    I don’t race but ride TTs and like hills, ideally wouldn’t have minded a deeper rim but for sub 200 I think I’m dreaming.

Any other fantastic offers about or should I go for one of the above?

Oh in for the long run so will need to be 11 speed compatible (also saving for the new 105) but currently running a 9speed mix.

Anything has got to be a ten fold improvement from the Maddux RS 3.0 I currently have right?!

Thanks all

withersea
    Free Member

Have these, they are lovely!

flatwarwick
    Free Member

I have a set too and enjoying riding them. Roll nicely and seem very stiff. To the extent I’m considering a set 25c types for them. Help take the edge off. Overall I’m impressed.

DavidB
    Free Member

Great rims. I’ve ridden all over the UK on these and they are still dead true. I’ve never found better value.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The only potential negative thing i’ve read about them is around the lack of availability of spare spokes if you do break one. They are definately a tempting offer.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Get them! As good as wheels twice the price. They are tricky to replace a spoke but I’ve had mine for two years and not broken one yet. They are cup and cone bearings but even they can be replaced.

wilburt
    Free Member

I was waiting for them to come back in stock.
    Possible negative is cup and cone but bearings and cone shells etc are available and otherwise seem good value.

m1kea
    Free Member

wobbliscott

The only potential negative thing i’ve read about them is around the lack of availability of spare spokes if you do break one. They are definately a tempting offer.

FWIW

I’ve been riding a set since 2004 and not had any probs. Well the bearings have got a bit gritty and I think the (Shimano) freehub is on it’s way out but I really can’t complain after 10 years!

tonyd

A mate has also been riding a pair for about 8 years without any issues. Nice wheels and a great price, hard to see a reason not to get them.

dsb181
    Free Member

Zondas look they are winning this far, nobody have any input on the AR24’s? Any thing else about in the same price range?

brooess
    Free Member

I have Campagnolo Neutron Ultra and they make the road come alive 🙂 They replaced a pair of Sciroccos which were excellent too.
    Never had a problem in 5 years of riding Campag wheelsets, always been very happy with them

onandon
    Free Member

I’m on campagnolo Eurus wheels. Very good wheels, ride well and nice n stiff.
    They are very close the zondas in spec but slightly lighter.

Spokes are a pain to find but not that much if a problem.

andyeez
    Free Member

Got mine from Wiggle last month and they are a massive improvement on stock Giant branded ones that came with the bike. Noticeably lighter, stiffer and faster rolling.

aP
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Eurus in 2005, rode them a lot – probably 10,000 miles a year – now they’ve been on my CX bike for 2 years and I replaced them with Shamal Ultra for the best road bike. I’ve never had a problem with them, neither has herself who also rides Shamal Ultra.

supertwisted
    Free Member

Just ordered a pair myself this morning. Was considering a set of handbuilts based on H+Son Archetypes, but I’d have had to compromise somewhere to beat the price of these Zondas.

I’m replacing a set of Jalco DRX4000 which are similar (if not the same as) your Maddux rims, think they weight about 2.1kg so a fair old saving going to the Zondas!

porlus
    Free Member

Had Campag Neutrons, currently have Shamal Ultras. Was going to get the Zondas, but decided to treat myself. Both sets have been great and would happily recommend Campag wheels to anyone.

1-shed
    Free Member

Am I being daft but your running Shimano but buying Campagnolo. Cassette compatibility issues?

jolmes
    Free Member

comes with either a shimano or campag freehub, no compatibility issues at all 🙂

Got mine in the post this morning, no bike to put them on yet though but they do feel lovely walking them through the house…

dsb181
    Free Member

Thank you all for the advice.
    How would these compare to the Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels? The Quattros are heaver but are deeper, what are the benefits of one over the other?
    Thank you 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

before you “press ther trigger” on the cheap Zondas at Wiggle it’s worth reading the small print

Please note these are clincher mount only, the 2-Way Fit version is pictured for display purpose only.

So not the latest version, not as pictured and not able to be run tubeless – if any of that is in your buying criteria

dsb181
    Free Member

Neither of those points really fuss me. Think im going to “push the button” when I get in from work!

pymwymis
    Free Member

Love mine – top notch quality, light stiff and very free running.

wilburt
    Free Member

The tubeless version are at crc for £30 more but also weigh 40g more. They look the same.

Blackhound

I have even toured Europe on mine and are now on my winter bike, audax general riding. All good, even got a pb on local tt on them back in the day.

I was talking to chap in Mercian who suggested they would be a bit harsh for touring and I would probably agree. Should have used the one’s they built for me in retrospect.

If the price is right go ahead.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Campag Zonda wheels; any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.