Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • campag power torque tools
  • porlus
    Free Member

Was looking online last night to cost up some park tool gear for removing and installing a Campagnolo power torque chainset……………HOW MUCH hahah. Looking at around £70 odd quid if I shop sensibly. Anyone got a set for sale lol.
    Parts are

CBP-3
    CBP-5

Makes me want to go back to old fashioned taper bottom bracket. I still have my Campagnolo Record bottom bracket, that is in perfect nick. All I need is a 10 speed compact chainset to fix it too.

baznav73
    Free Member

I just can’t undrestand powertorque, and i thought campag were supposed to be good engineers, and even more stupid when you have already invented ultratorque.

porlus
    Free Member

Yeah it does seem pointless power torque, when ultra torque already existed. Ditching the idea of taking it off now. Plans are to fix ultra torque chorus to a new frame I have ordered. Its a BB30, so need adapter cups and a 14mm allen key. Nice and simple :O)

crftom
    Free Member

They brought power torque in to be competitive on price with the other cheaper brands, I would always steer clear of it and run ultra torque

aP
    Free Member

Power Torque looks as stupid an idea as all those other similar chain sets from all the other companies whereas Ultra Torque is an intelligent engineered solution. Unfortunately the hirth joint is very expensive to make.

porlus
    Free Member

Just installed a Chorus chainset on my new bike. Lovely bit if machining on the hirth joint. Whole installation was painless too. Found bearing pullers for when the time comes for a semi ok price too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

why is ultra torque better? The other system works for everyone else…

porlus
    Free Member

dont know to be honest. its on the more expensive groupsets, chorus to super record so must be better right :wink:. I’ve installed a hollowtech 2 bottom bracket on my mountain bike, and that too was easy enough for me. guess the italians like doing things differently.

john_l
    Free Member

Just need a 14mm to fit it – looks like a right pain to remove though. Ultra-torque much betterer.

porlus
    Free Member

Just a 10mm allen. mines got the BB30 press fit cups so no cup remover tool needed as well.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ultra torque does still need a puller to change the bearing but mine have lasted two years so far.
    I got a snap on puller from eBay £17 used an it removes most things and far better than the park rubbish

acjim
    Free Member

As there are a few ultra torque’rs here does anyone know if the issue about creaking is as serious as suggested elsewhere online? I’ve recently bought a bike with chorus UT and, although it was quiet to start, it’s now a shocker. Creaks whenever I put power down,

Is there anything I should check or try myself?

Normally I’d check chainring bolts and any other fixings.

Ta!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Both mine and my mates did creak after a few rides but both have been fine after having the bolt in the middle retightened.
    Just can’t remember how tight it’s Ment to be

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The park powertorque tool is rubbish.. But it’s the only one available.. the stupid thing is that Campag don’t even make a tool to remove their own cranks!?!?! The park one will scratch a carbon crank 4/5 times too. And then it’ll break.

acjim.. It may creak unless there’s some anti-sieze between the bearings and the cups. If they’re super record cups then it’s bound to creak, as they have a special coating for the ceramic bearings. New cups are relatively cheap though if nothing else works.

edit.. 50Nm 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got a Chorus UT crankset on my roadbike that been on there since 2007. I upgraded to 11 earlier this year and took the cranks off to change the rings. Still just fine and currently doing 200 miles a week.
    I have UT cranks on 2 other bikes and the only bike thats been less than satisfactory is the cx bike where the bearings only last 2 years.

porlus
    Free Member

There’s a blog on the internet somewhere about someone trying to fix creeky cranks. Think the solution that worked was a super thin spacer next to the wobbly washer. It’s 42nm to re torque.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It’s 42nm to re torque

Yup! you’re right!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘campag power torque tools’ is closed to new replies.