Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Campag or Shimano
  • spacecadett
    Free Member

I am speccing up a road bike and only have decent experience of mountain bikes to call upon.

What are the main differences/advantages?

Thank you.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Either, they both work fine.

Don't put shimmy on an italian frame though, even if you're not a tart.

woody2000

What does a can of worms sound like when it's opened……

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Having used kit from both camps, my personal opinion is that Shimano's low/mid range groupsets work better/are better value than the Campag equivalent.

If you're going to wade in at Di2/Super Record 11 level though, I don't think you'll be dissapointed either way…. just very poor!

whytetrash

Srams nice too!…just to confuse issues, Prefer Shimano to campag but not much in it!

crazy-legs

If you want it to look nice, Campag.
    If you want it to work, Shimano.

😉

Seriously though, if you've got Shimano equipped MTBs go for Shimano on the road bike. Same tools and there's a fair bit of cross compatibility should you happen to need it (ie you break a road mech, only have a spare MTB one handy, it'll still work).

oldgit
    Free Member

I love campagnolo.
    Though Shimano is betterer.
    I like Campag levers for cross coz they're stable, but I use Shimano!
    New top end Campgag is darn good.
    But Shimano,yeah go with Shimano.

clubber
    Free Member

Whichever you like the looks feel of – they all work fine. Consider SRAM too.

I prefer Campag just for the more definite (Some would say clunky) feel.

Don't put shimmy on an italian frame though

Unless you're Italian and therefore don't care for attempts by non-Italians to feel genuine in which case Shimano's fine and very popular in Italy… 😉

organic355
    Free Member

SRAM RED

spacecadett
    Free Member

Thanks for the help!

I am not considering the top end groupsets – way out of budget. Looking at 105 / Ultegra level.

Great point about tool compatability – I already have a couple of Shimano specific tools (BB & Chainset) so that could save money.

Cheers for the advice.

flip
    Free Member

Campagnolo all the way, i just got 11 speed Record on the road bike and it totally out blings Shimano.

Even though you need a £100 tool to fit the chain 🙄

mrmo
    Free Member

personnal preference is Campag, only advice i can offer is find some bikes and see if you have a preference for the feel of the levers. They are different shapes and sizes and one might feel better to you than the other. Bear in mind that the new Ultegra levers are different to the old ones and current 105, similar issues apply to Campag some levers are the new extended shape others a slightly more compact shape. And you might prefer the Sram levers and there action.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Unless you're Italian and therefore don't care for attempts by non-Italians to feel genuine in which case Shimano's fine and very popular in Italy…

Indeed, but unless you ride exclusively on the continent, jibes from morons quickly get tiresome.

ourmaninthenorth

Both are fine.

Campag – more "positive" feeling shifts; brake cables under the bartape; Ergo shifting

Shimano – lighter feeling shifts; hoods and brake levers mor comfortable; STI shifting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Campag or Shimano’ is closed to new replies.