Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Campag curious..
  • wilburt
    Free Member

I would like to try campagnolo 10 speed, what’s the minimum I need, shifters, freehub, cassette, chain for sure but what about the shimano chainrings and ders are they different in someway that makes them incompatible?

Vortexracing

I think the chainrings are OK but the rear Der is not compatible IMO

mattsccm
    Free Member

As you don’t have Campag your cassette will not really be correct but its tolerable. Your freehub may be an issue but you can get after market cassettes that have Campag spacings and Shimano splines. Saves the cost of a free hub or wheel.
    You can bodge rear mech, Google Shimergo but that’s more common with 9 speed stuff or making 9 work with 10 sprockets. Sheldon Browns spacing crib sheet is interesting.
    Any chainset will do. I run all sorts of ancient stuff. Campag front shifters are more tolerant of this sort of thing than Shimano or SRAM. Different models and generations vary though.
    Probably the cheapest way would be either new Veloce shifters (Mirage or Xenon are a bit plastic) or used ones of a higher spec. Find a rear mech. (I use 9 speed Triple mechs but older 10 speed shifters have a different pull ratio as do different generations of 9 speed. No idea how old my 10 speed shifters are. My shifters also work fine with 1970’s Super Record mechs )
    Add a Campag spaced cassette (you could try a 10 speed Shimano one if you have it but that depends on how much fiddling you fancy) and chain if yours is too worn.
    9 speed shifters are mostly mostly convertible to 10 speed. Check first though. 8 speed is rare and expensive generally.
    CTC site is a good source of info if you are considering anything Shimergo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do you want to try it? Its not very different.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Campy is great, I love it and wouldn’t spec a bike without it.

However my Shimano Dura Ace stuff is very nice, and I’m guessing SRAM road gearing is good too.

It seems an expensive exercise to try out, as was said its not that different. You’d most likely get a better cycling experience by upgrading to Ultegra/Dura Ace, than sideways moving to Veloce.

LardLover
    Free Member

When I first started mountain biking I used to ride with an old roadie. He told me “Shimano for the mountain bike, Campag for the road bike”.

No idea what he based this on (it was 1991 if that helps?!) But his mantra stuck in my head. Both my road bikes have Campagnolo. I have had a bike with Shimano (6700 Ultegra) and have to admit I prefer the ‘mechanical’ clunk of Campag over the smooth/light shifts of Shimano.

ricky1
    Free Member

Shimano wears out,campag wears in…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL, campag wears out too.

gfkvelo
    Free Member

It somewhat depends on what you are trying to try out … if you want to know how an optimised system feels against a full Shimano set-up, then you need to use a full Campagnolo system including chain, chainrings, cables etc., set up by someone that is as familiar with Campagnolo as many mechanics are with Shimano.

If you just want to know how you get on with the different ergonomics of Campagnolo against Shimano, then there are corners that you can cut but in doing so you’ll be losing accuracy, predictability and smoothness of shift.

The absolute minimum you can *get away with* is probably rear gear, and shifters. The front shift won’t be very good but with careful set-up it will be workable, the rear shift (if you are running Shimano / SRAM 10s cassette at present) will be OK but possibly a bit rattly, probably worst through the middle of the cassette (where any derailleur system is at it’s most sensitive).

As you add in more dedicated Campagnolo parts, the shift overall will get better and more accurate. A full crank set (cranks, rings and BB so that you get correct chain line) chain and chain will make a big difference to the front shift. It needs to be set up correctly.

Campag cables assembled with metal ferrules and if you can avoid it, no in-line adjusters, make a big difference to consistency and accuracy of shift.

There are warranty considerations, too, depending on the extent to which they are important to you.

There considerations apply just the same whether you are looking at Campagnolo, SRAM or Shimano … systems are increasingly designed to work as just that.

HTH
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
    Campagnolo Main UK SC

wilburt
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, as in my op I would be using new shifters (10s Athena) new freehub to accommodate a campagnolo 10 speed cassette and campagnolo chain but would prefer if possible to keep the existing chain set (bb30) and derailleurs (105).

Doing this way keeps the cost reasonable and unless the link spacing of pull ratio/cassette width is drastically different I would have thought should work?

If I need new everything then I may as well go to ultegra 11 speed which are the first Shimano hoods I feel comfortable with.

Graeme do I understand you correctly that it may even work albiet less than optimally with a 10 speed shimano cassette?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll need a new mech

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Campag curious..’ is closed to new replies.