Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Campag cassette with shimano rear mech and shifters does it work ?
  • bladder
    Free Member

Got a wheel that has a campag 9 speed cassette will it work with a 9 speed shimano set up ?

crazy-legs

Not really, the gaps between sprockets are ever so slightly different. You’ll probably get it working OK over most of the range with a jump or two somewhere but it’ll never be as good as full Shimano or full Campag setup.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

no it doesnt work properly

bladder
    Free Member

I thanks for that Crazylegs I thought there was a slight difference with the spacing between the cogs cheers Bladder.

Edric64
    Free Member

Can you take some spacers from an old Shimano cassette and use them?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

what about the top few sprockets that are mounted on carrier ???

cynic-al
    Free Member

I use the opposite system on my “good” road bike. Works fine IMO.

IIRC there is a page on the CTC website with all the cross compatible options (eg on my other road bike i use 9s ergo, shimano mech and 8s cassette whch works ok)

Edric depends on cog thickness.

Edric64
    Free Member

how are they joined? .I only have Campag 8 speed .Are they held with rivets that can be ground off?

crazy-legs

(eg on my other road bike i use 9s ergo, shimano mech and 8s cassette whch works ok)

Why? ❓ 🙄

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have run campag 9 speed mechs and ergo shifters on a Shimano cassettee and I hate to say it but it ran alot smoother than a all campag set up I know there is a differance in the cog spacing but it worked realy well

Just try it what have you got to loose

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have an old campag 8 speed and they are all separate sprockets and spacers.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes it works but it’s a bit clunky (have set up a couple of bikes this way)

Campags 10s ergo and shimano mechs/9 sp cassette on my cx (hubbub fix for the mech) which works perfectly.

dobo
    Free Member

i use similar to clubber but my new rear mech wont play ball, but my old 8 speed mech worked perfect with 9 speed cassette!! but weighed a ton

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

tried to bodge a set up as per OP’s post on a cX bike and couldnt get it to work.STI and campy cass.

Macavity
    Free Member

There is some info on indexing and spacing of sprockets here:

http://www.highpath.net/
    Cycle information
    Rear derailleurs + indexing

and stuff about Marchisio sprockets.

kilo

crazy-legs – Member

(eg on my other road bike i use 9s ergo, shimano mech and 8s cassette whch works ok)

Why?

I ran Campag 10 shifters with an 8 speed dura ace rear mech – why? – because Campag shifters were about £40 and the cheapest shimano STI’s at the time were about £120.

cynic-al
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

Why?

Cheaper, lighter, allow you to run bar-bag DUHHHHHHH! 🙄 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty much all the info you’ll need here including the hubbub fix I mentioned:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

Jerome
    Free Member

9speed shimano cassette with campag ergo here. Works fine. I have a mavin m9 cassette somewhere that is supposed to be a solution..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Campag cassette with shimano rear mech and shifters does it work ?’ is closed to new replies.