Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Campag 11 shifters and Shimano/SRAM cranks?
  • BadlyWiredDog

So, as these things begin, yesterday I was just riding along on the Grindleford Goat – that’s a local Peak sportive with proceeds going to run the community village shop btw, not an actual goat btw – when in an interesting development, there was a cracking noise and I found my lefthand crank and pedal detached from the rest of my bike, though still clipped onto my foot.

Further investigation revealed a massive longitudinal crack in the crank axle plus a 360? fracture near the bearing where the crank had sheared off. To be honest I was mostly thankful that it went pretty much at a standstill rather than in the Alps two weeks ago hooning down the Galibier or Alpe d’Huez or whatever.

Anyway, as you can imagine, my faith in Chorus 11 is somewhat shaky after that, so I’m wondering if anyone has successfully run a Shimano, SRAM or FSA compact double with a Campag 11-speed front shifter? Any reason why it wouldn’t work?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I run 10 speed campgnolo cranks with a shimano setup if that helps.

simondbarnes

Certainly works with a Sram chainset, can’t see why it wouldn’t with Shimano or FSA either.

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks guys, off to do some virtual shopping 🙂

gfkvelo
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that you have had this problem.

If the crankset is in Warranty – i.e. you are the original owner, it’s less than 3 years old and you have a proof of purchase, we can look at this as a possible warranty issue.

Please contact us at the Campagnolo Main Service Centre via velotechcycling”at”aim”dot”com in any case – it is important that we see failures like this, whether it results in a Warranty claim or not.

On the compatibility issue – Chain ring spacing and design on both SRAM and Shimano is different to Campagnolo so you will find that the front shift will work, but it won’t be as good as it should be – plus if you are within warranty on the other parts of the system, you will be voiding both that warranty and any warranty on the Shimano / SRAM component (in all probability) as well … in general all manufacturer’s warranties tend to include clauses like “must be used with compatible parts from the *insert name here* range” …

HTH
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd, Campagnolo Main UK SC.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Though in addition to the last bit of the post above, any wording like that also either states or has implied by law “your statutory rights are not affected”…

nemesis
    Free Member

It’ll be fine though obviously you’ll need the matching BB too.

That said, Campag cranks are well regarded so while I can understand your concern, I don’t think you should necessarily write off a Campag replacement.

geetee1972
    Free Member

A representative from the UK Campy main service centre on a mountain bike forum? Wonders will never cease!

Chappeau to that man. 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

Velotech always pop up on Campag compatability threads. Its always the same company line, which I suppose is what they feel they have to say. But it doesnt answer the op’s question, which the answer is yes, inreal life all the chainsets you mention will work just fine.
    I had the same speal asking about using a campag chainset with a Ultegra groupset. I tried it to see and I couldnt tell any difference.

BadlyWiredDog

Quick update: I’ve been in touch with Graeme by e-mail, before I saw his reply here in fact and I forwarded images of the crank also. It’s out of the three-year warranty anyway as it dates from 2009, so that’s not really a concern.

I’m not for one moment suggesting that it’s a common failure or that another Campag crank would go the same way, rationally I know that’s extremely unlikely, but it’s shaken my confidence at a more visceral level despite being a Campag fan, so I’ll most likely replace it with something else.

Anyway, I’m going to send the remains of the axle etc off when I have a chance so that Campag can have a look at it. Mostly I just feel fortunate that it didn’t fail in a more dangerous scenario.

Thanks for all the advice on compatibility, much appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Campag 11 shifters and Shimano/SRAM cranks?’ is closed to new replies.