Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Camerons honours list
  • DT78
    Free Member

So he has rewarded lots of his chums. But. Does it really matter? Does it give you any special perks?

Harry_the_Spider

His wife’s hair dresser will get to meet the queen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Letters after your name, makes people think more of you

Mike W Smith BSC SSC GSC BCP SCP GCP BDOEA

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    farm-boy

Mike W Smith BSC SSC GSC BCP SCP GCP BDOEA

Bronze Swimming Certificate?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and a few more 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

Does it give you any special perks?

a peerage can give you a say in forming the laws of the land. (and access to discount booze)

anagallis_arvensis

Does it really matter? Does it give you any special perks?

Rich people are always falling over each other to buy gongs so I guess they do help. I’d happily see the Royals gone and the gongs with them but thats another story.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We don’t actually know the list yet do we ? Just leaks to the press.

Many lower “gongs” are given out for sevice to the state, yes hairdressing/stylist seems a bit odd but we don’t know she may have been available for lots of unsocial hours and taking trips away from her family ?

Top level awards like Knighthoods do mean you can attend certain events which are great for networking both business and social although one Dame I know goes to nothing and doesn’t tell anyone. An ex-boss goes to many things and spends a big portion of his time (and money via donations) supporting charities.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You had the nod Jamby?

anagallis_arvensis

yes hairdressing/stylist seems a bit odd but we don’t know she may have been available for lots of unsocial hours and taking trips away from her family

I’m sure she got paid. Why hand out a National award to someone just because shecworked for the PM’s wife? I dontvget it at all, but seeingvas this is the system we have and he was the PM I suppose he has every right.

mooman
    Free Member

I am pretty sure that for 99% of the population they mean nothing at all.
    However, for the 1% in society, they do seem to hold some significance, but then only the knight/Dame level really do it.

All a bit Little Britain really though.
    And just emphasises how dodgy Dave really is/was.

Drac

don’t know she may have been available for lots of unsocial hours and taking trips away from her family ?

Bless her having to work unsocial hours.

footflaps

JAG

If you could draw a heat-map of these awards it would be HEAVILY London centred and therefore unfair.

So I think we should reform the whole process of nominating and handing them out….

but who cares what I think? It’s not like I’m even an OBE for Christs sake 😛

JAG

don’t know she may have been available for lots of unsocial hours and taking trips away from her family ?

I do that for my work – can I have a gong?? 🙄

Northwind

Is it really a Cameron thing? I’d assume previous governments have done the same. Much more worrying is the way he stacked the Lords tbh.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Yes it does matter. The greater the status in society the more power and influence one has. If we agree the ‘higher’ members of society value these honours (and these are also the people determining how how society operates) then it follows that receiving an honour increases your power and influence in society.

So who do you want influencing society? The people Dave nominates or a more democratic system that everyone in society has had an input in?

Dave’s list is an example of the powerful in society influencing and maintaining the unequal status quo.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Like most things debased with overuse.

No harm in rewarding loyalty but buying loyalty is a different matter. Didn’t Blier set the price for a knighthood at £1m?

The attempts to appear trendy also seem a bit crap – oh she’s popular lets give here a gong and the popularity might rub off on me!!!!

teef
    Free Member

OBE – Order of the British Empire – there isn’t a British Empire anymore.
    Scrap the whole stupid system or at least rename them to something more relevant.

Here’s what Richard Feynman thought about honours:

binners

Yes it does matter. The greater the status in society the more power and influence one has. If we agree the ‘higher’ members of society value these honours (and these are also the people determining how how society operates) then it follows that receiving an honour increases your power and influence in society.

Hi!

robdixon
    Free Member

I’d rather his wife’s hairdresser got a £0 award than pick up the €10K a month tab that President Hollande’s retained hairdresser costs!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/13/bad-hair-days-for-francois-hollande-over-10000-coiffeur-bill

outofbreath
    Free Member

rename them to something more relevant.

Premier user?

ninfan
    Free Member

I wonder which is worse, a minor honour in return for hairdressing, or a peerage in return for heading up your ‘independent’ anti-semitism inquiry?

anagallis_arvensis

I dont know ninfan what do you think?

clodhopper
    Free Member

“I wonder which is worse, a minor honour in return for hairdressing, or a peerage in return for heading up your ‘independent’ anti-semitism inquiry?”

I knew I should have opened a book on ‘how long until someone uses the thread to have a pop at Labour/Corbyn’! 😆

If you are referring to Shami Chakrabati, then she’s done a bit more than simply head an inquiry into anti-Semitism. 🙄 In fact, one of the very few people in our society that actually do deserve an award for their work. I’d like to know where the nurses, care workers, teachers and public transport workers etc are in such lists.

footflaps

In fact, one of the very few people in our society that actually do deserve an award for their work.

+1

binners

I’d like to know where the nurses, care workers, teachers and public transport workers etc are in such lists.

When they start playing the game and making million pound donations to party funds, I’m sure they’ll appear

big_n_daft
    Free Member

CBE for Will (can’t get elected in a run down northern mill town seat he got parachuted into) Straw!!!

must be to wind up Leave campaigners because it’s not for anything else

hora
    Free Member

I’d like to know where the teachers are in such lists?

They get a generous annual leave package that costs me 1k+ every year in childcare costs.

Of course we would love to have one parent at home but Cameron/Blair etc saw to it that we are slaves to paying living bills for life.

tomhoward

Premier user?

Quite right, about time too.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“They get a generous annual leave package that costs me 1k+ every year in childcare costs.”

Nobody forced you to have kids. Did you not do a cost analysis before starting the project?

Your kids cost me in taxes. Can I have the money back please? Or should we not be so selfish?

mrhoppy

Northwind – Member
    Is it really a Cameron thing? I’d assume previous governments have done the same.

Yes it is in recent time. Neither Blair nor Brown open to invoke their privilege.

Coyote
    Free Member

They get a generous annual leave package that costs me 1k+ every year in childcare costs

Married to a teacher. Break down actual hours worked against pay and it’s not so good. But hey, if the annual leave package is so amazing and childcare costs are crippling, why not become a teacher?

anagallis_arvensis

They get a generous annual leave package that costs me 1k+ every year in childcare costs.

Your kids cost me loads in tax to pay for schooling and all those feckless lazy teachers

clodhopper
    Free Member

Your kids cost us extra if we want to travel in school holiday time! 😡

But then, we get to travel in term time, and can take advantage of much cheaper rates. 😉

“But hey, if the annual leave package is so amazing and childcare costs are crippling, why not become a teacher?”

😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    buying loyalty is a different matter.

Michelle Mone bought hers with her soul! 😆

footflaps

kimbers

Are there any other countries in Europe where you can so openly buy your way into government ?
    And it’s all considered completely normal

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/21/revealed-link-life-peerages-party-donations

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Camerons honours list’ is closed to new replies.