Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Cameron rant.
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

mm Interestng thread
    Good use of stats to not use seats but a reasonable point re the election had not seen that figure before.
    Cameron has not exploited his sons death but sadly it appears to have not made him the one nation Tory I hoped for.

We had similiar debates when Labour were in power we will have them for ever it seems silly to suggest that because I remain left wing I am bitter because the Tories won

the people have spoken the b@stards

Dick Tuck. Legitimate points can be made re the mandate given and the Lib dems role in doing exactly what they said they would not.As I said at the time the Tories lost better than anyone else they did not win. That is bound to engender some feelings though.

George got that expensive education at that cost and only got a 2:1 An ok result but cosidering how much better private educated people fair it is a realtively poor result IMHO dave got a first for example. Works hard but nothing exceptional.

druidh
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

I haven’t heard a single good reason why reducing the amount of MPs from 650 to 600 is a great idea.

Well, it would certainly be cheaper. 😀

Because whilst there are 650 MPs in the House of Commons at the moment, there are 744 peers in the House of Lords.

And this government keeps creating more……..another 50 new Lords announced only today :

Ah – the last lot didn’t create any peers then?

“if Labour couldn’t make it elected in the amount of time they had, why should the Coalition”

That has got to be the worst excuse ever.

You’re not saying that it’s a bad idea, just that because one bunch of politicians didn’t do it, then for that reason alone, the next bunch of politicians shouldn’t bother either – no matter how good the idea is.

Mibbe the last lot didn’t manage either as it’s a bit more complex than they at first thought? Has anyone actually come up with a decent alternative yet?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah – the last lot didn’t create any peers then?

Got your political dig/point there but are you in favour or not of more peers?

druidh
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

Got your political dig/point there but are you in favour or not of more peers?

I guess we have to create a few more to replace the ones that are dying off? I’m all in favour of a good alternative though. What’s the best option – get Simon Cowell to run an X Factor-type show every Sunday and have the populace vote?

chewkw
    Free Member

I think he has no balls.

😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I guess we have to create a few more to replace the ones that are dying off?

So you don’t fancy a House of Lords on the cheap then ?

druidh
    Free Member

As the HoL is not elected and it’s members don’t have constituencies to represent, I guess that almost any arbitrary number would do. I am against hereditary peers, not sure that life peers are the right thing either. I always reckoned that it was useful to have one body whose views weren’t always coloured by the fact that they had to be re-elected every 4-5 years.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Cameron rant.’ is closed to new replies.