Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Cameron comes to Todmorden….
  • RustySpanner

To play the benevolent dictator and tell us how he identifies with the flood victims:

Linky to BBC story & video.

Looks like he got the usual warm Tod welcome 😀

Wondered by there were suddenly hoards of high viz & hard hatted civil engineers parading round today – gives a nice impression for the cameras.
    Bet you a big clock they’re not there tomorrow.

Sadly missed him as working at the time, but I believe he got a damn good heckling – wonder if he popped in the Wellie for a Pimms? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like you lot all brought your chip along…..

RustySpanner

Care to explain?

Is ‘chippy’ the new go to insult for Northeners who disagree with the government?

Your profile says you’re in Whitworth?
    Is that the Rochdale one?
    How are the coalition policies working out there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope not really just sounds like everyone turned up with a Chip on their shoulder.

There is no way DC would get a favourable reception up there even if he brought free pies, I guess he didn’t go to Hebden as they only sell the Gaurdian there 😉

Need to update my profile out of the UK now just get to watch from the other side of the world.

FWIW Tod is at the southerly tip of the North, M62 is the start of the midlands…..

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Anyone try to serve him up some Fist pie?

RustySpanner

mikewsmith – Member

Nope not really just sounds like everyone turned up with a Chip on their shoulder.

Really?

What evidence do you have for that?

Perhaps some of them are just a bit pissed off at having to rebuild their homes and business for the third time in six years?

Did you listen to what the lady in the video had to say?

I thought she explained how she felt she had been let down and ignored quite eloquently.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sadly missed him as working at the time, but I believe he got a damn good heckling – wonder if he popped in the Wellie for a Pimms?

This?

Looks like he got the usual warm Tod welcome

This?

To play the benevolent dictator and tell us how he identifies with the flood victims:

or this??

RustySpanner

To play the benevolent dictator and tell us how he identifies with the flood victims

Simply my opinion.
    How would you like me to phrase the fact that I think he is an arrogant elitist idiot with no empathy or interest in the concerns of the poorest in society?

Sadly missed him as working at the time, but I believe he got a damn good heckling – wonder if he popped in the Wellie for a Pimm’s?

Have you ever been in the Wellington?
    If so, you’d know why this is an ironic comment. Most of the regulars can’t even spell ‘Pimm’s’.
    And the heckling – well, he got heckled – can a fact be ‘chippy’?

Looks like he got the usual warm Tod welcome

In what way is this ‘chippy’?
    It’s a comment on how Tod locals take a while to accept incomers.

Anyway, time for bed in this hemisphere – happy to continue later. 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m a little confused here. Why is it the governments fault to get you out of your house when it rains a lot? Wouldn’t you just ask an neighbour if it was that much of a rush?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends if you think the government should do everything for you really (see 10 pages of why our food makes us fat) It was obvious that the emergency services were sat on their arses doing nothing while people waited to be freed from their homes. I’m sure they weren’t prioritising their efforts at all.

Simply my opinion.
    How would you like me to phrase the fact that I think he is an arrogant elitist idiot with no empathy or interest in the concerns of the poorest in society?

How I see most people sipping latte’s and tweeting about how the government does nothing for the poor whilst living in comfy lives in nice houses wondering what colour bolts to use to fix their new stem on with.

Perhaps some of them are just a bit pissed off at having to rebuild their homes and business for the third time in six years?

Perhaps they could do something about it? Why do their houses flood? What flood protection could “They” do? Perhaps it’s just a fact of life that the area is now prone to flooding and until there is more money to go round for flood defences it would be wise to rebuild and adapt to the new situation.

In the end I’m just mildly amused at it all, if only Milliband had come then he could have really sorted it all out 😆

project
    Free Member

Your home is flooded and most of your possesions destroyed,your insurance if yu have any is acting daft, youre stressed and upset.

And bloody David camerooon turns up with a film crew WTF, about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

brant
    Free Member

Perhaps they could do something about it? Why do their houses flood? What flood protection could “They” do?

#facepalm

Jenn from STW had her flat flooded to about 2in below the ceiling whilst she was at Mountain Mayhem.

Are you suggesting she should have moved all her furniture upstairs as a precaution?

http://lockerz.com/s/219723379

allthepies
    Free Member

So best if politicians stay away then ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No I’m not, more if the house has flooded before it may be time to look at some other flood defences. Rather than wait for the EA to do something.

After the floods in cockermouth most houses had flood boards fitted. All downstairs areas refitted under insurance had their electrics routed at ceiling level and decked out in more wipe down start again floorings.

As was posted above IF this was not the first time.

I have a great deal of sympathy for people who have been flooded having seen it happen before to some friends.

I was mostly replying to the assumption that the government should “Magic” a solution out of nowhere….

grum
    Free Member

Depends if you think the government should do everything for you really (see 10 pages of why our food makes us fat)

You mean the thread in which absolutely no-one argued that the government should do everything for you? What the right wing mindset seems to fail to realise is that there are certain things that people can’t handle on their own, so we as a society should get together and help sort it out, rather than sitting there going ‘not my problem, why should I care?’.

Perhaps it’s just a fact of life that the area is now prone to flooding and until there is more money to go round for flood defences it wouldn’t be wise to rebuild and adapt to the new situation.

Oh, the old chestnut that the country is broke, yet we can still afford to spend billions on replacing Trident, the Olympics, and letting people get away with massive tax avoidance/evasion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hat there are certain things that people can’t handle on their own, so we as a society should get together and help sort it out,

are you suggesting we are all in this together and collectively we have more strength and support than as an individual.
    You are Chairman mao and and I claim my little red book

El-bent
    Free Member

No I’m not, more if the house has flooded before it may be time to look at some other flood defences. Rather than wait for the EA to do something.

Yeah, sort it out yourselves, this government has “no money” 😉 to spend on you for flood defences.

So then would you agree Mr mikewsmythe, that whilst defending CMD for turning up in Tod, there was no reason for him to be there, but only for publicity?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What use is Cameron in such a situation? The inevitable securtiy would only get in the way of the emergency services and the clean up, and he’s no effin’ use as a sandbag!

I wish that one of those stressed flood victims would let fly against Cameron or the broken news vultures who swoop in and patronisingly ask what it is like to lose everything.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Im not getting how the rain is Cameron’s fault & besides if youve been flooded out 3 times in the last 6 yrs perhaps your ire would be better off directed at the PREVIOUS government?

Just a thought..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But flood defences and drainage require constant inspection, maintanence, and in the case of drainage, proper clearance. Ahem, we’re living through an ‘age of austerity’, for some at least…

grum
    Free Member

Yeah they should complain to Gordon Brown, rather than the person who might actually be able to do something about it. Good plan.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yeah they should complain to Gordon Brown, rather than the person who might actually be able to do something about it. Good plan.

Point. Missed. Massively.

🙄

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s all a case of Pass The Liabilty. You don’t have to spend public money on flood defence infrastructure if you pass the cost on to the insurance industry and householders.

grum
    Free Member

Im not getting how the rain is Cameron’s fault

Point. Missed. Massively.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

So you are not sure the rain is CMD’s fault but it is the ex governments fault…could you explain your logic to me?
    EDIT: Damn too slow should never have made that brew

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Go on then grum, how is the rain Camerons fault?

alex222
    Free Member

Blaming the current government for the last 6 years weather and the location of a village that has been there how many years?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

So you are not sure the rain is CMD’s fault but it is the ex governments fault…could you explain your logic to me?

Im not saying its anyones fault.

What I am saying is by all means blame someone for the mistakes THEY’VE made but to blame Cameron for the previous governments failure to insure Tod & Calderdales flood defences are upto scratch is ridiculous.

If you cant see that then there’s no point in discussing this further.

grum
    Free Member

Go on then grum, how is the rain Camerons fault?

No one has ever argued the rain is his fault, that’s a complete straw man. What people are arguing is that the government could do more re flood defence. That’s the previous government and this one btw. But of course it would be much more productive to whine about Labour wouldn’t it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

But flood defences and drainage require constant inspection, maintanence, and in the case of drainage, proper clearance.

Whilst cycling home I noticed the state of some of the local drainage ditches. They were pretty clogged up and probably weren’t fulfilling their intended purpose any more. There’s one near me that get blocked making the road flood, so out of self-interest I go out with a spade and clear it occasionally, and neighbours do the same with another.
    No doubt in theory it’s some government/council department’s responsibility, but I imagine that at some time in the past there was an assumption that the residents of an area sorted these things out themselves. Now I’m not suggesting this is a practical solution for many people, but I think at some level the lack of real communities now means they’re is a sort of learnt helplessness and an expectation that every problem should be solved by someone else.
    I’ll stop now, because I’ve sort forgotten what it is I was trying to say 🙂

brant
    Free Member

The flood defences are badly constructed, the plan of implementation is flawed, and they were badly managed.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What people are arguing is that the government could do more re flood defence.

I couldnt agree more..

grum
    Free Member

I couldnt agree more..

So what was your point again?

Junkyard
    Free Member

blame the last government if you want to blame someone

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And the one before that, and the one before that…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

brant and mrlebowski +1

WTF is all the politicising of this about? What claptrap. Flood defences – hard and/or soft – are never perfect, always expensive, important etc… They will fail at some point and people will suffer as a result. This lady seems most agitated about the failure of local services to respond in a timely and appropriate manner. End of story, surely.

It would be nice if senior politicians (of any party) went to provide support, give locally managed services an appropriate kick up the derriere BUT without the cameras and media hype. Then they really would get our respect!

grum
    Free Member

brant and mrlebowski +1

WTF is all the politicising of this about? What claptrap. .

How is that a +1 to mrlebowski who wants us to blame the previous government? 😕

It’s funny how you usually claim not to have an allegiance to any political party, yet your comments are almost always broadly in support of the Tories.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Grum – your perception, that’s all. My comments are directed at both sides here, but if the cap fits….If you can overcome your perceptions, please point to how I have taken any party political stance here.

The +1 refer to the observation of governments can do more re flood defences (in theory) followed by some caveats (the practice as an ex-geographer!).

You and others deem this a topic to make partisan comments on – I think that is rather silly/inappropriate to the same extent as politicians turning these events into media opps. I also fail to see how the video clip makes this a partisan issue.

grum
    Free Member

You and others deem this a topic to make partisan comments on

Where did I do that then? Your perception, that’s all.

Was it when I said this?

No one has ever argued the rain is his fault, that’s a complete straw man. What people are arguing is that the government could do more re flood defence. That’s the previous government and this one btw. But of course it would be much more productive to whine about Labour wouldn’t it.

I just find it interesting that you +1 mrlebowski who did make partisan comments, and criticise me for the same, while claiming no political bias.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

WTF is all the politicising of this about?

First of all I wasnt the one who made it political, I think the OP got that covered.

Two, I just like pointing out to those who need it pointing out to that blaming the current Gov for failing to provide adequate flood protection is like a broken pencil, pointless. Its clear that the case that blame is historical YET this fact is conveniently ignored.

Its just that some will go to the default of its all “Fatchas fault in’it!!” without thinking it through..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Cameron comes to Todmorden….’ is closed to new replies.