Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Cameras – SLR -v- mirrorless
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

My other half is looking for a new camera. Currently she has an oldish Lumix Superzoom, that was decent in it’s day but is now a bit outclassed.

She’s looking at either a beginner SLR – probably a Nikon D3300 as I have a Nikon and we could share lenses, or one of the compact mirrorless systems – a Fuji of equivalent price has been recommended by a friend. I thought it was the x-e1 but could be mistaken.

She’s not especially into photography, but likes the pics I get out of my SLR. (I’m no great snapper, but do try). I’ve pointed out the obvious size/weight disadvantage of the SLR, but the better control and handling speed, but she reckons the D3300 + kit lens she’s tried didn’t feel especially heavy compared to her existing Lumix. She generally seems happier using a screen on the back of the camera than a viewfinder, but that’s partly a familiarity thing I think.

It’ll be mostly used for general travel photography plus bike/outdoorsy stuff. Reaction speeds are moderately important, and I’ve strongly argued the case for getting something that produces RAW files.

I’ve not tried any of the mirrorless stuff, so have no idea what its like.

Thoughts…?

Thanks.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you’re not the serious about photography get a mirror less. Pics are great and the size will make a difference. If it fits in your bag etc you don’t need to make such a big decision about taking it.

I know a lot of folks with dusty DSLRs that sit in the cupboard and do all their pics on the phone

jimdubleyou

I would go with the mirrorless.

I have have a couple of DSLRs that I love, but they don’t come out unless I’m specifically taking pictures.

I have an old-school Lumix LX3 that comes out on bike trips because it’s much lighter.

Isn’t there a Sony mirrorless/compact that people rave about on here?

epicsteve
    Free Member

My main cameras are SLR’s but I’ve got one of the micro 4/3rd mirrorless systems as well and find I use that a lot now for holidays and that sort of thing. In fact I’ve been using it a lot more than my main system of late. My proper DSLR system is more capable of course, but for the sort of stuff I use the 4/3rds system for it’s more than adequate.

Cougar

She’s not especially into photography

If she’s “not into photography” and going to be using it on a bike then there is absolutely no point in a dSLR. It’s a waste of money and will spend most of its life in a cupboard. It’s a myth that a dSLR takes great photos in and of itself; rather, it enables you to take good photos and gives you greater control over what you do.

For your – sorry, her requirements I’d be looking at a high end snapper, something like one of these maybe, or whatever the Nikon equivalent is.
    https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/expert/

clodhopper
    Free Member

Hi, you’ll find many advocates of mirrorless cameras on here, and there’s a good case for getting one if weight and bulk are a prime consideration. At the lower end of the market, the Nikon will offer comparable image quality to the Fuji XE-2 (and much better than a 4/3rds camera) but for significantly less money (Jessops prices are £299 vs £749 for body+ kit lens). There’s not a massive difference in size and weight really. The Fuji XT-1 and kit lens is £549, which is about the same as the Nikon D5300 kit. Obviously try the cameras out in a shop to see which feels better.

As you say, getting a Nikon DSLR will mean access to your lenses, without additional expenditure. Then there’s things like flashguns, Nikon’s range is better and less expensive like for like, and there’s loads of 3rd party flashguns available. Much much larger s/h market for lenses etc. Something like a s/h 50mm f1.8 lens for the Nikon could cost as little as £60, and would be a fantastic lens to have for portraits.

If you already have a Nikon, then I’d just go with another one.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“If she’s “not into photography” and going to be using it on a bike then there is absolutely no point in a dSLR. It’s a waste of money and will spend most of its life in a cupboard”

IMO this is poor advice, as tbh, this could also apply to any camera. Why not just stick to a smartphone? A better camera could well help her to get ‘more into’ photography, as she won’t be frustrated by the limitations of a ‘snapper’. Some of the current ones are very good, but still nowhere near as capable as even a basic DSLR, plus they cost more!

stumpy01

Best advice would be to get along to a large Jessops/John Lewis or wherever they have loads of different cameras on display that you can have a play about with.
    Obviously go in with an idea of what you want, but quite often it comes down to personal preference & how a camera feels in your hands & how easy the menus are to navigate.

It’s pretty hard to actually buy a bad camera these days, and this description: “She’s not especially into photography” suggests that the performance of a mirrorless compact would be more than adequate.

I’ve got a Nikon D80 SLR with a number of lenses, but if I had the money would definitely be buying a mirrorless compact with a decent sensor size, for general days out when I don’t want to lug the SLR around.

I suspect judging by the ‘geek-fest’ these camera threads normally turn into, advice for your partner from STWers is perhaps not the best route to go down……. 😆

mafiafish
    Free Member

I run Sony mirrorless and really like the system, but if you don’t need to worry about weight and compactness, then DSLRs are generally much more comfortable and ergonimic and have a greater back catalogue of new and used lenses. You can of course run legacy lenses on mirrorless bodies using adapters but it’s a compromise with AF performance and simply having bulky SLR lenses on your wee mirrorless body.

Video is almost universally better executed through mirrorless cameras though.

core

I’d go for a ‘bridge’ camera, I had an old Fuji (S602 for anyone interested) before my Canon SLR. Whilst the SLR allows me to use different lenses and has manual zoom, I sort of wish I’d stayed with a Fuji bridge camera, they’re so much handier and can get almost as good (if not better with new tech) results.

Cougar

IMO this is poor advice, as tbh, this could also apply to any camera. Why not just stick to a smartphone?

Very good question.

Point is, the best camera is one you have with you. If I was going out on the bike, the only reason I’d want to lug a dSLR about is if I was going out expressly to take photographs. It might not be that big and that heavy, but unless you’re into your photography (or have an interest in wanting to be) then it’s likely that you’ll have complete arsedness failure when the novelty wears off a fortnight after you’ve bought it.

jimwah
    Free Member

I borrow my GFs Nikon D5500 on occasions where I want DSLR functions, we use the 35mm 1.8 for special pics or portraits, but the rest of the time I use my little ‘advanced compact’ Sony RX100 (£280). It can’t touch the DSLR in low light of course, but for everything else it’s fantastic, and the video is unbelievably good. I’m not really into video usually, but it’s so easy to shoot nice looking vids I’m starting to get into it!

GregMay
    Free Member

RX100 gets a second vote here – quite powerful in most circumstances.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Coming from DSLR background I loved the IQ and genuinely pocketable size of the RX100 however it is a PITA to handle and operate, and mine developed a lens assembly malfunction even after very careful handling so it sits in the cupboard right now. Never had such a problem with a number of Lumix TZs over the years with no problems at all. I would recommend a decent compact with decent manual control. Just decide if or not she needs a zoom (and how long) and take it from there. Being in the market for another decent compact I’ve been especially eyeing the Fuji X20/X30 or a (used) Canon G1X. I just bought an old (pretty much as new) Canon 40D DSLR with pancake lens, so although not especially looking fwd to again lugging a kilo of kit about my person for my use (large prints and reference for painting) it’s still my best bet this side of a half a grand or more.

If she doen’t require a zoom and would maybe enjoy the quality and no-fuss of a prime/fixed lens then the Fujifilm x100 would be something to look at. I’d have an X100S/T in a heartbeat if budget would allow. Also the Lumix LX100 for similar reasons.

If she’s stuck on a DSLR then for reasons you already mentioned the D3300 seems well recommended in reviews and will be lighter than the more ‘pro’ Nikon bodies.

jairaj

last time I was demoing camera was about 4 years ago so my knowledge might be outdated.

But I found a high end compact or mirrorless camera produced better pictures when shooting in auto or scene selection mode and with jpeg format.

The DSLR allowed greater control when taking the photo and the RAW files allowed me to fine tune the photo how I wanted so was ultimately better.

But if I just want to pick up a camera, compose the shot and click. The high end compacts and mirrorless camera’s were better than entry / mid range Pentax SLRs I was looking at the time. I guess the software and jpeg conversion was more advanced as they knew the people who tend to buy the high end compacts wouldn’t want the extra faff?

stealthcat

In answer to some of the points above., I specifically don’t want a fixed lens; I want to be able to chop and change.

Low-light performance is important, as this is one of the strengths of my Lumix, and I take quite a lot of woodland cycling photos.

The Fuji that was suggested is the Xt10, but there seems to be something strange about not always being able to shoot in raw.

Jon is more concerned by the weight than I am; I would obviously prefer cheap, light and good images, but light is probably least important, and quality most important.

If I’m out for a ride, I won’t be stopping to take photos, regardless of the scenery. If I go out to take photos, I might ride there, but weight/bulk will be less of a concern, and I’d choose the lens depending on what I was going to watch.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve just bought a Canon EOS 100D which is the smallest SLR body on the market. Stick a 24mm pancake lens on it and you end up with a package that’s not much bigger than a mirrorless camera, but arguably has the potential to produce better images if you’re that way inclined.

I bought it partly because I already had several decent Canon EF-S lenses, but wanted something a bit more compact for carrying about.

That said, for basic, outdoor and biking snaps, I’d look at a decent quality tough camera. The images may not be as good, but at least you can carry it around without worrying about breaking it every time it rains or you crash.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d look at mirrorless, mainly for the size advantage. Sony a6000 would be on the list, as would any of the m43 offerings (great value used). I’d also look at the 1″ sensor stuff like the sony rx100 or rx10.

stealthcat

The other issue with the Fuji was the weatherproofing, or lack of it; the chances are it will be used in damp weather, so it needs to be able to cope…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve used every camera I’ve ever owned in the rain, on boats, on the beach, in the wind and never had a problem. Unless you plan on submerging it I really wouldn’t worry.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve got a sony A6000 which is better in every way than the Nikon DSLR it replaced. I also use my old manual Nikon lenses on it which are relatively cheap and abundant. With the 16mm pancake lens on it’s the same size as a bridge camera but with full dslr control and similar quality.

I think the main advantages that DSLR’s now represent for most (non pro) people are physical ergonomic ones that would be come apparent if you were to spend literally all day shooting with it.

Sony have an A7 variant that is specifically optimised for low light performance, though I can’t remember which one.

stumpy01

stealthcat – Member

In answer to some of the points above., I specifically don’t want a fixed lens; I want to be able to chop and change.

Low-light performance is important, as this is one of the strengths of my Lumix, and I take quite a lot of woodland cycling photos.

The Fuji that was suggested is the Xt10, but there seems to be something strange about not always being able to shoot in raw.

Jon is more concerned by the weight than I am; I would obviously prefer cheap, light and good images, but light is probably least important, and quality most important.

If I’m out for a ride, I won’t be stopping to take photos, regardless of the scenery. If I go out to take photos, I might ride there, but weight/bulk will be less of a concern, and I’d choose the lens depending on what I was going to watch.

Aaaah, presumably you are OP’s other half?

Based on what you’ve written above – DSLR.

toby1

I’ve used every camera I’ve ever owned in the rain, on boats, on the beach, in the wind and never had a problem. Unless you plan on submerging it I really wouldn’t worry.

Where as I just had an 8 month old Canon 700D start erroring on holiday in the US halfway through a photo-heavy trip, as a result we bought a second body (well my wife did).

5thElefant
    Free Member

Where as I just had an 8 month old Canon 700D start erroring on holiday in the US halfway through a photo-heavy trip, as a result we bought a second body (well my wife did).

Specifically through lack of was weather sealing?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Fuji XT-1 is somewhat regarded to be a ‘tough’ mirrorless system from what I read. I would definitely give it a look based on your stated reqts.

kiwijohn

The XT1 is an excellent camera, very robust, I’ve given mine a beatIng. The XT10 has the same sensor & processor in a cheaper body.
    The 18-135mm zoom is the perfect lens for outdoors use.
    I like the simplicity of the dials & minimal buttons compared to a dslr & Fuji lenses are outstanding.
    With the imminent release of the XT2, you could probably get a deal on XT1.

AdamW
    Free Member

I bought a Nikon D3300 the other week. Cracking camera. Then I just found out the have released the D3400!

But I do want to learn more and it produces decent pics.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am a big fan of micro 4/3 myself – my biking camera is an Olympus E-M5 mk II, and to be honest I am tending to use that a lot more than my main camera these days (even commercially I am selling as many or more images from that as the big Nikon D800). All comes down to what you put infront of the sensor!

My other half has “borrowed” my E-M5 mk I in preference to the D7000 that she had previously nabed, she isn’t a photographer but really loves the wee Olympus for ease of use.

Image quality is up there with the decent APS size sensors, or near enough that you can’t tell the difference. They are nice and compact too, and the lens selection is convincing (which reminds me – must get a couple more pancake lenses before I start riding again in the near future!)

I would go m4/3… and probably Olympus at that (I do like the Fuji system too, but would probably opt for the M4/3 for lens choice – especially used). Body wise I would probably err more towards the PEN series rather than the OMD, but it comes down to personal preference so see which she prefers.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Am in the process of part-exing my year old Nikon D5200 if you’re interested. Cracking little DSLR but am starting a new business doing sports photography so upgrading.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Cameras – SLR -v- mirrorless’ is closed to new replies.