Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Camera help!
  • reubena
    Free Member

Canon eos 1200d help:
    Will it over heat if shutter open for a long time filming? I’ve here’d it does?

Is it worth me buying a canon eos 1200d for filming Mtb races (off the bike) using a tripod? Or shall I just get another GOPRO I’ve got a hero 3.

Thanks

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Shooting time is limited to 30 mins. The card/camera will be fairly warm by then, but not problematically so. It’s the memory card that gets warm.

The Go-Pro is a point-and-shoot, not requiring any input. The Canon will need setting up and probably monitoring. The AF, if it even works in video mode, will be slow and a bit erratic, so you’ll get better results (eventually) using manual focus – that’ll take time to learn. You’ll also need some ND filters for shooting outdoors.

I would expect the overall quality of the Canon to be better, mostly due to the aesthetics of a ‘proper’ lens and the larger sensor. It will likely have a depth of field and more natural colours. Check out YouTube for video examples of each.

jimjam
    Free Member

If your filming mtb races you’d be better off with a digital camcorder of some description. Battery life and capactiy will be limiting factors on DSLRs and Gopros.

It depends what type of results your aiming for but if you’re looking for something dynamic or professional looking a dslr will give you a lot more creative control than a gopro. However, shooting handheld trying to catch action on the fly it’ll suffer from rolling shutter.

An ideal set up would be something like a dslr, gopro and a camcorder. Camcorder static to catch all the action at a given point. Gopro closer to the action, dslr for gv’s and artistic cutaways.

reubena
    Free Member

I’ll get a dslr because I’ve already got a GOPRO so I’ll get best of both world thanks for the input guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Camera help!’ is closed to new replies.