Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Camera for diving
  • nicko74

A mate’s looking at getting a camera for scuba diving, but has no clue where to start. Neither do I – other than that his land camera isn’t really ideal for a housing, being an SLR.

What’s the collective experience on these things? Is it easiest just to attach a GoPro to your BCD somewhere? Or is faffing with a stills camera worth it for the quality of picture?
    Any thoughts appreciated

grantway
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

No reason you can’t get a case for the DSLR. Its likely to cost more than the camera though. I’d go for a decent compact that has a standard case available. Sony and Olympus seem to have the most options.

There’s a lot more taking decent snaps underwater so just sticking a go pro on an hoping for the best is unlikely to produce much.

lovechoc
    Free Member

I was told to expect the housing to fail, maybe not this dive, but maybe the next one. So rather than risking my work horse SLR, I went for a cheaper digi with a housing. Has worked in UK and Red sea okay to 40m without any issue, all the buttons are accessible on the housing.

Try Olympus ( I did ) and maybe camerasunderwater.co.uk who seem to have a decent stock.

Then love your housing, back up the shots after each dive and keep your O ring grit free!!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Camera for diving’ is closed to new replies.