Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Camelbak Mule replacement?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Looking to replace my 6 year old rotting Camelbak Mule.

Looking around I’m spoilt for choice, I could probably get away with going slightly smaller as apart from the usual multi tool, tube, lightweight jacket and a few bits I don’t tend to carry much. My usual rides last a few hours along with the odd longer ride.

Apart from coming with/being able to purchase a rain cover for it I’m not too fussed. What is the current favourite?

devash
    Free Member

I have a Lobo and a Mule. The Mule gets used the most as the extra size is more practical for UK riding (fits extra layers, emergency waterproof etc). I think a Mule sized pack is still the best option overall.

The Lobo is great for summer when I just want to carry water and tools. I also use it for night riding without the bladder alongside a frame mounted water bottle.

The only thing I don’t like about Camelbaks is the swimming pool taste of the water that comes out of them.

Osprey do nice looking packs, not sure what their bladders are like though.

kimbers

Endura single-track, very light, comfy, lasting well (a year now)
    Tool roll, waterproof phone pocket.

MarkyG82

Currently got a berghaus remote 8+4 with an old camelbak bladder. Looking to replace with an osprey viper 9. Have a much larger (25l) Montane bag for long trips but it’s not great for riding at it’s quite tall.

The remote is great as it can be made bigger by unzipping the sides. It’s just getting old.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Dakine Session is a great pack, and about £20-30 cheaper than the Mule depending on where you buy from. They’re nigh-on indestructible.

br
    Free Member

I had a Mule for years, loved it.

When it died I replaced it with a Camelbak Volt. IMO a far more user-friendly product.

Weighs less, carries the same volume as fluid (more securely, been lower) and can take far more gear (especially useful in winter when I can just sling in a spare pair of gloves and jacket). Easy also to strap pads to and my Bells’ faceguard etc.

excitable1
    Free Member

I have a real issue with Camelbaks…

I suffered with back spasms for a few years to the point when sometimes I’d bend down to pick something up and couldn’t stand up again, which got to be a proper problem once when I was out on a ride at the top of High Street.

Someone mentioned to me that it could be the pack and I had been finding that no matter how much I adjusted the straps the weight would shift to one side whilst riding (it was a Camelbak Mule).

I swapped over to an Evoc Enduro Blackline with a back protector insert. The result was instant. The load was off the spine and central and the straps fit that well it’s like riding with a hug. More importantly 3 years on I’ve not had a back problem since.

Everytime I follow someone with a Camelbak I see their pack off to one side or moving from side to side and I know several other people who’ve had similar back problems and switched over.

PS Don’t bother with the Evoc bladder though, run a Camelbak bladder, that part of their packs can’t be beaten.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey. Bloody good kit!

br
    Free Member

Everytime I follow someone with a Camelbak I see their pack off to one side or moving from side to side and I know several other people who’ve had similar back problems and switched over.[/I]

Which is why I mentioned the Volt, as it doesn’t unlike a loaded Mule.

excitable1
    Free Member

Which is why I mentioned the Volt, as it doesn’t unlike a loaded Mule.

Can’t speak for a Volt because I’ve been running my Evoc for over 3 years since I ditched the Mule, but the Volt doesn’t come with a back stiffener/ protector though and looking at it I’d still say the straps lack some adjustability and the front strap looks a bit flimsy to offer the same support (or hold your beer gut in) the Evoc does (Volt review), all IMO of course !

…you’re obviously happy with yours though Br !

leftyboy
    Free Member

Camelbak Volt seems to be discontinued which is a PITA as I wanted to replace my Mule with something that moved the fluids lower as I have ‘dodgy’ shoulders!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a mule, osprey and Ergon, Osprey is by far the best quality and design.

Evoc look like school bags.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor – superb bit of kit.

chrismac

Im really enjoying the Camelbak Skyline, its really comfy and sits low out of the way so your back stays much drier than normal.

fathomer

leftyboy – Member
    Camelbak Volt seems to be discontinued which is a PITA as I wanted to replace my Mule with something that moved the fluids lower as I have ‘dodgy’ shoulders!

Camelbak now do a ‘lowrider‘ version of the Mule, I’m trying to decide weather a Mule or Skyline is the pack to go for! I love my Osprey Raptor for the layout and quality, I just find it wobbles around and gives me backache.

bumper
    Free Member

when the straps perished on my Mule I went to a Skyline. Love it, low down and no back ache after wearing it for day after day too. Its just big enough for me to carry everything I need but not big enough to overload.

odsbodkins
    Free Member

Impressed with Osprey – quality kit. Mines doing well after a couple of years.

Dango
    Free Member

Osprey raptor here, better than the mule is replaced and has a lifetime warrenty.

flaps
    Free Member

Can’t say i’ve ever noticed the Mule moving around on my back, I guess it might though?
    I got mine in a sale for £52 and I rate it. After practically every ride I rinse and put it in the washer with my clothes and it’s still looking good. I’ve also got a Lobo but that’s a bit too small if i’m honest as I now tend to carry at least two tubes (a mate had a knack of forgetting his…)

four
    Free Member

I have an osprey viper 9 – seems pretty good so far.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks, loads to go off there.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed my Mule moving, in fact it’s always felt pretty solid.

What size Raptor is everyone using? The 10 or the 14?

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Had a Mule. Now with a Skyline. Really like it.
    Sits a lot lower and is stable when moving about. Great pack.

chipster

I’ve had an Osprey Raptor 14 for a couple of years. It’s a similar size to the Mule it replaced, I think.

orena45

Used to have a Mule, then had an Osprey Raptor, now got a Camelbak Skyline. Doesn’t have a rain cover but as above, low-down weight is great and doesn’t move about. Really like it.

Review on my blog if it’s of any help 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Mule replacement?’ is closed to new replies.