• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by timc.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Camelbak MULE
  • Brown
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mule from about 2010 (with the new bladder, the one with the ‘baffle’). I like the bag, but not the sausage shape it adopts with anything over a liter of water (that and the fact that nothing will fit into the bag with this amount of water).

Are newer Mules any less rotund?

brassneck

Is that the one with the funny stiff back bit? I have one in Essex White (well, a bit mouldy now) but I never liked it as much as my older MULE. Fits enough in, just doesn’t sit very well on the back.

Going to take a look at the new ones that hold the bladder closer to your waist, think they might be more comfy.

Brown
    Free Member

Mine’s not got a stiff back and I’m not sure the new ones have either.

Do you mean the Charge and the Volt? They do look good and feel comfy in the shop. I hate having waist straps done up though, so I’m not sure how I’d get on with them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Hawg is the next size up. I had a mule and found similar sausage issues with the mule.

oliwb
    Free Member

I moved over to Osprey from an old Camelback (Blowfish?) for this exact same reason…..there’s no way I would go back now. The Osprey’s are extremely well designed and made. I can simply drop in a full bladder even when the bag itself is totally full – no way that would’ve happened with any of my Camelbacks I’ve owned over the years…..

timc
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    Is that the one with the funny stiff back bit? I have one in Essex White (well, a bit mouldy now) but I never liked it as much as my older MULE. Fits enough in, just doesn’t sit very well on the back.

You can take the stiff bit out you know?

iainc

put the baldder in last. I have a newish one, but also had a few older ones. My Mule nornmally has between 2 and 3 l of water, then in teh next pocket : 2 tubes, pump, shcok pump, spares pouch, insulating tape, knife/pliers Gerber thing, some choccy bars. In the outside pocket : multitool, chain tool, some tissues and a pair of disposable gloves.

Can easily and often pop a gilet or waterproof in too.

timc
    Free Member

oliwb – Member
    I can simply drop in a full bladder even when the bag itself is totally full – no way that would’ve happened with any of my Camelbacks I’ve owned over the years…..

The newer Camelback bladders have a internal join so they retain their shape better, less of an issue on modern bladders

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve been using an Osprey Raptor 6 for a while, and it’s great, except it rubs my back quite annoyingly. I tried to go back to the Mule but the shape reminded my why I stopped using it.

Now I’m looking for something else about the same size, that’s not sausage shaped or an Osprey.

Had a look at an Evoc 10, but the waist strap sat right across my stomach, which p1ssed me right off.

iainc – So would you say newer Mules are less sausage-like? (I’ve got a new bladder but it doesn’t seem to help with my old one.)

brassneck

You can take the stiff bit out you know?

Pretty sure you can’t, it’s the NV thinking about it, if tha’ts any different. Be interesting if it is possible, the sweaty back thing isn’t as much of an issue as I thought it was when I bought it.

Lakes_Puma

I have a volt with the lumbar reservoir and absolutely love it. I haven’t even put the MULE on my back since getting the Volt and I evangelize about to anyone who will listen.

iainc

iainc – So would you say newer Mules are less sausage-like? (I’ve got a new bladder but it doesn’t seem to help with my old one.)

yes, definately. The internal dividers retain the bladder in a better shape and its easy to put in when fullish even when the bag storage area are loaded.

timc
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    Pretty sure you can’t, it’s the NV thinking about it, if tha’ts any different. Be interesting if it is possible, the sweaty back thing isn’t as much of an issue as I thought it was when I bought it.

Lil hidden zip at the top, have a look

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak MULE’ is closed to new replies.