Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Camelbak Kudo 12 – any good ?
  • iainc

I have a couple of Evoc back protector packs, and the small one, an FR 10l lite, is dying after a few years of fairly intensive use. Looking for something similar size, weight and storage. Before I order the same one again, the Camelbak Kudo has caught my eye. Keen to hear how folk find it ?

I have an FR Trail 20l one for bigger days.

moonsaballoon

Interested in this one , currently use a couple of osprey bags depending on where I’m going but starting to think if your going to use a pack it might as well offer you some form of protection also .
    Are the protectors noticeable And are they uncomfortable ?

nickc

Also interested, looking for a larger bag for longer days and alpine trips, so was interested in back protectors.

iainc

I swopped to the Evoc ones a few years ago and find them more comfy than previous Camelbak Mule. I didn’t like the idea of a pump or multi tool embedding in my spine if I crashed. They are slightly heavier but no downsides IMO

iainc

oh well, can’t be a very popular pack, which maybe says it all……. 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have the Kudu 8 and the Kudu 12. I prefer them to Evoc as they are a bit narrower. I’m 6ft but with a 38″ chest and so I found the Large Evoc ones to be a bit wide across the shoulders. I did see here that the designs are changing for 2018. I initially started with the 12 but found it was too big for short / quick laps and so also ended up buying the 8 which I use more often. I like the fact that the CamelBak hib belt includes pockets for snacks; I think only one Evoc pack has that option.

I find them comfortable on the climbs and descents. If I don’t strap down the 12 it can ride up a bit on the descent and it’s long enough that my helmet interacts with the back plate. This doesn’t happen with the 8.

happybiker
    Free Member

I have a Kudu 8 and it’s great. Comes with a tool roll, rain cover etc. and is really comfy, the protective pad goes unnoticed.

Doesn’t come with a bladder though.

iainc

thanks for info – I hadn’t thought about the 8 – wonder if it will be big enough ? I’d typically have a 2l bladder, some tools, tube, small first aid kit, some spares, maybe a gilet – you reckon that would fit in ?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Probably. I’ve found them both quite generous on the dimensions.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve got the Kudu 12 which replaced a Lobo. Not had a EVOC to can’t compare but I have been happy with the Kudu. Spare tube, tools in the tool roll, first aid kit and pump all live in the pack with loads of space for a jacket, lunch, spare gloves etc. Really like the pockets on the hips. The back protector is removable, but I just leave it in. I have found I have to make sure it’s proper secure or it can move on rough descents (sometimes I’m lazy and just throw it on my back). The rain cover is really useful as is the helmet and pads storage, and the soft (media) pocket at the top.

iainc

excellent, thanks, have ordered both 8 and 12 and will send one back, (or both if I find that they aren’t as comfy/suitable for my needs as the Evoc) 🙂

cheers.

iainc

Just opened that link for the 2018 Camelbak ones, they look pretty good and at 10 and 20l sizing aligned as directly competing with the Evoc ones I guess.,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Kudo 12 – any good ?’ is closed to new replies.