Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Camelbak Charge or Volt?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Looking for a new hydration pack, is either of these significantly better than the other, I know one is 2l and other is 3l etc not to fussed about that really as don’t usually fill up my current 3l.
    Both are available for £55 ish so makes the more expensive volt a better buy however is it much bigger than the charge? Looking for something for a few tools/spares and capacity to shove a jacket in it.
    Cheers.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have both and have yet to use the Volt.
    Bought the Charge first and really liked it so bought the Volt second hand off here for bigger days out for the extra water capacity and a bit more space.
    In reality for most of what I do currently the Charge is ample- not done much over 3.5 hours for a while.
    Can fit tools, two tubes, a jacket and some food comfortably in the Charge with room to spare.
    That said I f I was only going to have one I would pick the Volt just for the capacity if it was needed. It compresses down nicely
    Not sure that helps really
    Cheers
    Steve

mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheers Steve, is the volt any longer/wider or does it just expand to give more capacity.
    Cheers.

fatgit
    Free Member

It’s about the same but expands outwards-away from your back if that mjakes sense?
    The Charge has one main compartment with a small zipped pocket on each “wing” but the Volt also has an extra good sized pocket on the outside of the main compartment similar to other Camelbaks.
    Both also have an external pouch that’s big enough for a 2/3 tubes.
    The Charge is the best bag I’ve used and a mate bought a Volt on my recommendation on the back of it.
    Guessing the Volt will be just as good but haven’t needed the extra water or space yet.
    Hope that makes sense
    Cheers
    Steve

mark_rich
    Free Member

I’ll go for the volt I think if it’s not much bigger, it’s a better buy then at the same money, will do for bigger rides.
    Was gunna wait for the new skyline one but at £99 it’s nearly twice the price of the volt at sale price.
    Cheers for the advice.

jamj1974

Long-term I’ve not been very happy with my Charge. With the lumbar bladder the lid sticks in my back as the bladder empties. Not as comfy by far as my Wingnut Hyper 3 or Dakine pack either.

fatgit
    Free Member

I know a few on the forums have mentioned this but not had any issues personally and my mate with the Volt hasn’t said anything
    Cheers
    Steve

mtbrog
    Free Member

jamj1974. Have you tried turning the bladder round so the lid faces outwards rather than in towards your back?
    Just for the record the Charge is a great backpack, it carries the weight so low down that you hardly feel it, highly recommended.

fadda

Can’t speak for the Volt, but I like my Charge, although there’s been some comment that it’s not very robust.

May be worth bearing in mind if you’re rough on your kit but I’m not and have had no problems with mine.

soopahfly
    Free Member

Have you considered a Geigerig pack?
    I have one, and it’s brilliant. You have a little valve that allows you to pressurise the pack, so when you’re absolutely gagging for a drink and you’re out of breath you don’t feel like you’re about to die.

It’s also good for blasting water at gritty bike bits and the dog.

jamj1974

jamj1974. Have you tried turning the bladder round so the lid faces outwards rather than in towards your back?

Yep. That’s why it only sticks in when it gets emptier.

Just for the record the Charge is a great backpack, it carries the weight so low down that you hardly feel it, highly recommended.

The way it carries weight is very good. Not as good as a true lumber pack but still impressive.

mtbrog
    Free Member

jamj1974 sorry, I imagined you had the bladder with the cap facing in to your back and that was why you felt it digging in. I have not experienced this problem but now you have raised it I will look out for it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a Volt, considered the charge but the actual size of the packs is pretty similar. If I want less stuff I don’t take a pack at all and use jersey pockets. With all the compression straps done up it’s pretty small inside.

Only criticism I have is the tool organizer bit it right at the bottom, I’d much prefer it where the MP3 player pocket is at the top. Solved it by making a tool roll that’s easy enough to grab and pull out from under stuff.

Helmet strap isn’t really stable enough to hold a heavy FF off road. Never noticed it digging in, but it just swings side to side.

jamj1974

To be fair I am very picky with packs. Even though I’m not overjoyed with it – it is still in the top 3 packs I’ve owned.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Charge or Volt?’ is closed to new replies.