Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Camelbak Charge lr vs. Evoc 10 vs Unzen
  • ajt123
    Free Member

Looking for a hydro-pack for all day riding.

These are the ones I’ve narrowed to.

My sense is that the Camelbak lumbar bladder and side pockets are definite plus points, but that it might be quite sweaty.

Anyone had experience of both?

Cheers, Alex

iainc

this might help re Evoc :

my post from the other day

I’d find it a squeeze as an all day pack, but perfect for 2 hr blasts carrying water and essentials. not really space for additional layers, food etc

smatkins1
    Free Member

My old camelback needed replacing last week after getting a bit torn up so I was looking at these.

I didn’t like the look of the Charge. Those side pockets could end up as kidney protectors or kidney killers depending on what you’ve got in them when you crash.

I went for a small Evoc back which I’m very happy with… except the bladder. The valve is a silly design as you need two hands to open/close the valve. The way the bladder is sealed after filling with water seems like a weird idea too.

iainc

^^^ I have popped a Camelbak bladder in my Evoc 10L, currently a 3L one, but have ordered a 2L to make a bit more space

ajt123
    Free Member

Thanks ian, very useful. Ta! Alex

prezet
    Free Member

The Evoc 10L FR lite would be too small for a day pack IMO – but the Evoc 10L CC makes a perfect day pack as long as you don’t want the spine board.

ajt123
    Free Member

What is the difference between the Team and Non-team versions?

brassneck

I have a Charge and it’s excellent. Far less sweaty than the two generations of HAWG it replaced, very very comfortable (I had gone back to bottle for most sub 2 hour rides to save the backache, use the Charge exclusively now).
    Big enough for a riding day out, if the side pockets bother you just use them for gels/food etc. but when it’s sat on your hips I think it’s pretty tricky to fall on them, and they are nowhere near your kidneys, more frontal and over your pelvis.

Biggest pain is extracting the hose to clean it, but if you stick to water it’s not necessary often.

Best bit was getting it from Halfords for £40. Didn’t need a new one but fancied a punt at that price, and I’m really glad I did.

iainc

What is the difference between the Team and Non-team versions?

only difference is colour. I bought the FR 10L Lite in Team version the other day as it was the cheapest 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As an avid hater of wearing a backpack, the Charge was significantly less obtrusive than any Evoc bag I tried. The back protector ones were awful.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Charge LR and you can stuff it full of kit and 3L of water and it’s so comfortable you don’t notice you’re wearing it. The side pockets are very useful for stuff you want quick access to – I usually keep my food in there, plus maps hanky’s & that sort of thing. Wouldn’t worry about it being sweaty – I regularly use it in 30 degree plus conditions and it’s not a problem. Can’t comment on it versus your other options as I haven’t tried them.

gren
    Free Member

Charge LR here. It does get a bit sweaty on your back but no more than any other backpack of any sort.

Lumbar reservoir is okay but doesn’t work too well when you’re getting low and need to get to the last drops. No more difficult to fill and fit than my wife’s normal Charge though.

Side pouches are handy for food etc so you can get to them without taking the thing off. The main section has more than enough room for all day rides – tubes, tools, food, packable etc

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a Charge LR and find it ideal for most rides I do.
    The only limiting factor for longer rides would possibly be the 2litre bladder.
    I bought a Volt LR because of this to get a little more space (even though the Charge bag is probably big enough) and the 3 litre bladder. Haven’t used it yet though.
    Does anyone know if the bigger bladder from the Volt fits the Charge?
    If it does the Volt bag could be pretty redundant.
    Cheers
    Steve

perthmtb
    Free Member

Fatgit’s comments made me realise I’ve got a Volt not a Charge 😳 So what I said above was about the Volt.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Charge lr vs. Evoc 10 vs Unzen’ is closed to new replies.