Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • camber or pitch
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

2nd hand prices they seem to be around the same. Less pitch’s about though.

Was thinking either a camber with a 140 fork (rct3 rev) or a pitch with 140 up front?

Obviously the taller fork on the camber would slacken it off and increase the bb height but hearing that might not be a bad thing.

I’ve had a lot of specialized bikes and quite like the fsr suspension design. Had a pitch for a week in the alps but the lyrik fork i had on it was pants. Sold it as i wanted the bits for my slackline. I’ve also owned a 2009 enduro which was amazing but a bit too capable for local riding.

Currently riding a slackline but feeling I need something more as i’m going to BPW 2-3 times a year

I like the idea of something around the 140 mark but also thinking the camber with reduced travel at the back might be less sluggish (more poppy?!?)

trickydisco
    Free Member

bump for the day crowd

I_Ache
    Free Member

You don’t really need anything more than a slackline for BPW.

I have come round to the idea recently that a less capable bike is more fun as it is harder to ride at the same speed. It moves around under you more and is less dull one parts of the trail that are not steep and rocky. As such I went from an Enduro Evo to a Stumpjumper. In the same vain as your Camber idea I do have longer forks on the Stumpy than it was designed for and it’s a great bike. I had a Pitch and while it was great at high speed and was pretty stable I found that it sucked the life out of normal trails and that my HT was more fun.

So keep the Slackline but if you must get an FS go for the Camber as it will probably be better for normal riding.

NormalMan

@OP
    What size frame you looking for?

My large 2012 Camber Expert (26er) is in mint condition (although the elixir 5’s could do with a bleed/replaced with shimano) and I’m about to re advertise after a time waster.

devash
    Free Member

I take it that you are after a 26er Camber? I have one and I’d say that its a great do it all bike but definitely more for the general riding / XC side of things than hitting big stuff like the Pitch.

I’d say the geometry is perfect at the recommended 120mm travel for what it is designed to do. I happily ride mine off drops up to a couple of feet and it feels like it has a lot more travel than it should, especially after I replaced the shock with a custom tuned Fox RP23. The stock Rock Shox Ario was rather basic but I know some frames came with a modified Fox shock as standard.

I took this bike to Italy when I was living near the Alps for a year and I’d always beat my XC racer mates with their carbon 29er hardtails on climbs. On very rocky / choppy descents the frame displays some flex so you can’t hammer it through like you could with a Pitch but then again its not that kind of bike. I did put it through some abuse taking it down some trails and off some drops I shouldn’t have but it never missed a beat though.

I know they released an “Expert” version in 2012 that has a bolt thru rear axle, tapered headtube and BB30 bottom bracket which supposedly fixed this so if you want a Camber in 26 variety then I’d track down one of these.

Mikkel
    Free Member

devash, did you find the stock Ario really squeaky?
    On mine it squeks and its amplified through the frame and wonder if its normal.

devash
    Free Member

@ Mikkel yeah it was a tad noisy, I don’t remember any reverberation through the frame though.

Mikkel
    Free Member

ok thanks, will not think to much about it then. when blasting down a trail i dont notice it anyway only if riding on a clean road with no other noise.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a Camber 26er, but can highly recommend them.

They’re perfect for 99% of riding you’ll do and they don’t feel out of their depth descending. In fact, mine was routinely quicker on the local downhills than my old Marin Wolf Ridge with 160mm Marzocchi 55s up front.

Mine wasn’t a bolt through model, but I never had cause to complain about frame stiffness. Fitting a 140mm Revelation up front is a good modification IMHO, as is a dropper post.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I had a Pitch and while it was great at high speed and was pretty stable I found that it sucked the life out of normal trails and that my HT was more fun.

I had an enduro for 2 years and this was the reason for the slackline. The enduro was totally boring for local stuff really (with 160 lyriks)

Basically I rode my slackline (which i love) in the morning at BPW on Saturday then hired a trek slash for the afternoon which caused me to grin immensely at the speed i was hitting stuff and made me remember what riding a full suss is like again (i’ve owned 3 in my time)

I’m definitely keeping the slackline but wanted a cheap full suss frame so i could swap it over maybe twice a year

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’d be looking at running mine 140 revelation on the pitch rather than a burly 160 lyrik build (which is what i had in the alps)

Also saw this: http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/dannys-custom-build-camber

Which sparked my interested and have read ppl putting a 140 fork on the camber (A lot of manufacturers seem to be producing these shorter travel bikes or shorter rear travel to the front)

trickydisco
    Free Member

You don’t really need anything more than a slackline for BPW.

Funnily enough everytime i’m at BPW i always get comments along the lines of “couldn’t ride that here” “you’re crazy”

I’ve never hit the blacks but some of the reds can be a handful at times

NormalMan

So, what size are you after Tricky? (I’m so subtle hey! 😆 )

trickydisco
    Free Member

always ride a medium.

The thought of less travel (120mm) appeals somewhat and reading reviews of the grapil (140/120) makes me wonder if less travel at the rear makes a better riding bike

NormalMan

Shame. Mine is a large. It has got to go through lack of use. I was storing at my dad’s but he is getting remarried and moving so need to shift it. Never mind. Hope you find one.

Northwind

I had a 26er Camber, it was properly shite. Front-endy, too steep, and weighed pretty much the same and pedalled almost exactly the same as a stumpjumper making the whole effort completely pointless. Enormously less capable than a slackline, I thought I was going to die on it at innerleithen on trails I’ve ridden on my rigid carrera (albeit at about 1/20th the speed) Worst bike I’d ridden in this century, except possibly my Ellsworth.

FWIW I rode all the reds and a decent whack of the blacks at bpw on my ragley ti. And I’m not that good and certainly not that brave. Didn’t do the jumpy blacks because I can’t jump for toffee. Next time I’ll take the big bike though

NormalMan

NW, I’ll get you to write my ‘For Sale’ ad shall I 😆

Northwind

I hear the large is completely different and fantastic.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘camber or pitch’ is closed to new replies.